• Quick Navigation
Photo

Glass and Brittle Plastics - What areas to address?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

NorCalNate

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 April 2022 - 02:19 PM

In regards to this registry, what areas of our facility do we need to address? For example, do we only need to address in production areas, or do we also have to include our lunchrooms, office areas or Laboratories?

If we have to include our lab, do we have to include all glassware? Our lab has a TON of glassware, though none of it is used in production areas. Really hoping to avoid this. 

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 366 posts
  • 87 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 19 April 2022 - 02:24 PM

I have generally had a list for just in production areas as there is where your most risk is...but I have seen and also had a separate list for other areas if there is risk that a broken item in those areas could affect the production area.  In terms of audits, I have been only asked for the register of the production areas.

TylerJones

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 102 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 April 2022 - 02:37 PM

I have made registers for both BRC and SQF plants and have always included supporting areas. If there is a broken light or glass in the restroom or laboratory can that be brought into production via shoes? Production areas are typically heavily inspected, yet supporting areas are not. Your risk, your product. Can you mitigate the risk of lab equipment by doing a sort of pre-op for the day and check off that equipment is not broken rather than counting everything individually? 

If you don't like change, you're going to like becoming irrelevant less. 

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 507 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 April 2022 - 02:51 PM

I count most everything, for example there's a glass top table in the ladies dressing room that I check on the monthly walk thru.  

However, I do not count the glass in the lab.   It never leaves the lab under any circumstance.   An auditor has never brought it up.   That certainly does not mean they won't some day....

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: glass and brittle plastics, registry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users