Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 April 2022 - 03:36 PM

I have researching about this toxin, E319 or TBHQ,  that is freely allowed in so many food preparations after we had terrible allergies to it. Apparently its lethal at just 5gms but none of the food safety boards seem concerned about it.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 25 April 2022 - 03:56 PM

I'd be a bit cautious about the presentation/interpretation of some of the "scientific" information to be found on the internet.

Many substances are safe in limited quantities but dangerous in high quantities - water would perhaps be a slightly reductio-ad-absurdum example (although it most definitely have very serious impact at excessive doses), but perhaps more in-keeping with the ethos of your post, caffeine is an example that is widely added to / present in foods, and 5g of that in one sitting would also probably be lethal to most humans.

It also isn't strictly true to say that E319 is "freely allowed" in foods or that food safety authorities are overlooking it. I don't know what country you're considering, but in the EU and USA there are maximum limits, and the former are most definitely based on assessment of likely exposure levels across a range of food categories, to ensure that the actual intake doesn't exceed a safe level. A quick google shows that, in addition to the US and EU risk-assessed positions, it's also been considered in by the UN FAO/WHO Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA) and by FSANZ for Australia/New Zealand, all with corresponding maximum permitted usage levels.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,493 posts
  • 1512 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 April 2022 - 04:02 PM

CFIA/Health Canada AND NOT allowed in any other food

T.1A Tertiary Butyl Hydroquinone Fats and oils other than milk fat, olive oil and suet; Lard; Shortening 0.02%. If butylated hydroxyanisole, butylated hydroxytoluene or propyl gallate, singly or in combination, is also used, the total must not exceed 0.02%

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 05 December 2022 - 02:12 PM

According to EC Regulation 1333/2008, E 319 is only allowed in essential oils and not in food at all. So, it's already not allowed in food in the EU.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:29 AM

According to EC Regulation 1333/2008, E 319 is only allowed in essential oils and not in food at all. So, it's already not allowed in food in the EU.

Just to clarify this for the benefit of my own pedantry and for anyone else who stumbles across this looking for info on this particular additive, E319 is also included in the "group" authorisations for E310-320 and E310-321, so is permitted in a range of other food categories. See the following links for a summary:

https://webgate.ec.e...&identifier=106

https://webgate.ec.e...&identifier=107

In the context of the part I've marked in red in the quote, this also isn't strictly true. Aside from the food categories for which specific authorisation is given, it's worth noting that it is potentially indirectly permitted in vastly larger range of foodstuffs in the EU due to the carry-over principle in Article 18 of Regulation (EC) 1333/2008.

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:35 AM

I completely overlooked they were part of a recognized group.

So, you're right. Apologies if I confuse anyone with my earlier post.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,663 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 13 December 2022 - 02:45 AM

E319 is an immune suppressor and much like caramel coloring in coke, dr. Pepper, pepsi, etc that is a known carcinogen, e319 is allowed because agencies like to keep their pockets greased.

Morale of the story.. just because it is allowed does not mean your compamy needs to be a part of the problem.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users