• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 29 April 2022 - 06:58 AM

Good Morning Everyone 

Wondering if you could help me understand how to segregate cheese to be cut and repacked in a BRC food safety site 

For example if all cheese types are ready to eat, would soft cheese, cheddar and parmesan for example all be classed as high care, all as low care, or do we need to facilitate both high care and high risk at the same site?

i understand that the high care or high risk status from the manufacturer needs to be maintained , are cheese normally high care or high risk in your experience?

Marloes

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 288 posts
  • 76 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 29 April 2022 - 08:46 AM

Hi,

It all depends on the risks that you are mitigating.

Most importantly you want to cut and package in a way to prevent contamination (physical, chemical, allergens and also microbiological).
For hard cheeses with a low moisture content the risks might be lower than for soft (high moisture) cheeses. It also depends on your packaging/storage conditions/shelf life etc.

Since cheeses are susceptible to Listeria Monocytogenes you would do well to classify as high care. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 May 2022 - 07:48 AM

Good Morning Everyone 

Wondering if you could help me understand how to segregate cheese to be cut and repacked in a BRC food safety site 

For example if all cheese types are ready to eat, would soft cheese, cheddar and parmesan for example all be classed as high care, all as low care, or do we need to facilitate both high care and high risk at the same site?

i understand that the high care or high risk status from the manufacturer needs to be maintained , are cheese normally high care or high risk in your experience?

Hi Safetea,

As per 1st edition BRC guidelines on high risk/care foods -

hard cheeses eg Cheddar, parmesan - Low risk (based on low Aw, pH and salt content)

soft cheeses, eg Mozzarella - High care

But note that some products classified as low risk still require high hygiene standards to protect from spoilage microbes (eg Y&M).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Safetea

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 May 2022 - 12:35 PM

Thank you Marloes and Charles :ejut: