• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to include Food Defense in HACCP plan as per the FDA rules?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic
- - - - -

ankitadharma

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 June 2022 - 07:24 PM

Hello,

I would like to add food defense to my HACCP Plan. How should I add? any advise 

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 03 June 2022 - 08:17 PM

Hi ankitadharma,

In my experience, a food defense plan has been a separate document from the HACCP plan. If in your hazard analysis you deem food defense risks to be inherent to your manufacturing process and you can address them in your process as a CCP, then I'm sure that could be done. It's just that the typical methods of addressing food defense risk involve precautions outside the manufacturing process (ie visitor policies, plant security, etc.). 

Take a look at the FDA's resources for food defense, they do have a plan building software available for free. They also have guidance available on their website. I'd expect the builder software not to be user-friendly...but at least it's free! In the past I've simply taken ideas from the software and made my own plan in excel. Much easier to manage that way!

https://www.fda.gov/...se-plan-builder

Edited by Brothbro, 03 June 2022 - 08:19 PM.

Gelato Quality Lead

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 June 2022 - 09:33 PM

Agreeing with Brothbro.

The FDA plan building software was annoying to use and it churned out a giant pdf of a plan, which is useful, yes, but if I want to edit anything, you have to do so in the software itself. So, I highly recommend downloading it to use as a guidance but creating your own excel plan instead of creating it directly in the software.

There are a few parts of the food defense plan that we incorporated into our HACCP plans, such as not leaving product unattended or uncovered and reconciling unused packaging. But as mentioned, there are parts of the food defense plan that would not have any place in a HACCP plan like having exterior doors locked, so it would still be necessary, in almost every case, to have a separate plan/document.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users