• Quick Navigation
Photo

Causes of cinnamon extract powder failing to pass the metal detector?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Rajkumaar

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 10 June 2022 - 01:33 AM

Hi all,

25 kg bulk packed Cinnamon extract powder has failed to pass the metal detector. What may be the reason? Kindly help me to find the exact reason. Thanks. 

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 10 June 2022 - 04:28 AM

Hi all,

25 kg bulk packed Cinnamon extract powder has failed to pass the metal detector. What may be the reason? Kindly help me to find the exact reason. Thanks. 

Hi Rajkumaar

If the metal detector has previously been set up to screen 25kg bulk cinnamon extract and is working correctly then I would investigate by sieving the 25kg.

Kind regards,

Tony

Nalathu

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 June 2022 - 08:43 AM

Hello Rajkumaar!

Are you sure you have not used any metalized packing material for this 25 Kg packing 

like metalized PET or  Alufoil?

Thanks!

Marloes

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 284 posts
  • 76 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 June 2022 - 09:34 AM

Are you sure that there is no metal in your bulk packages?
If yes:

- Do other products also result in positive results (could be contamination off your line)
- Is your metal detector program set up for bulk cinnamon extract (product composition could lead to positive results on the wrong program)
You could check if smaller amounts of cinnamon extract also fail your metal detector. If smaller amounts do not, you can run previously checked smaller batches into a big bulk to see if the volume is the issue.
- Is your metal detector calibrated and maintained correctly?

If these inhouse checks don't results in anything, it is probably easier to have your metal detector supplier check it out.
It's usually not the first time they encounter this problem.

Rajkumaar

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 10 June 2022 - 11:36 AM

Hi Rajkumaar

If the metal detector has previously been set up to screen 25kg bulk cinnamon extract and is working correctly then I would investigate by sieving the 25kg.

Kind regards,

Tony

Actually we packed 9 drums(hdpe) each weighs 25kgs. All drums failed to pass the detector. We done sieving too, but nothing caught. 

Rajkumaar

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 10 June 2022 - 11:37 AM

Hello Rajkumaar!

Are you sure you have not used any metalized packing material for this 25 Kg packing 

like metalized PET or  Alufoil?

Thanks!

Yes, I'm sure. We haven't used any metallic packing materials. 

Rajkumaar

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 10 June 2022 - 11:43 AM

Are you sure that there is no metal in your bulk packages?
If yes:

- Do other products also result in positive results (could be contamination off your line)
- Is your metal detector program set up for bulk cinnamon extract (product composition could lead to positive results on the wrong program)
You could check if smaller amounts of cinnamon extract also fail your metal detector. If smaller amounts do not, you can run previously checked smaller batches into a big bulk to see if the volume is the issue.
- Is your metal detector calibrated and maintained correctly?

If these inhouse checks don't results in anything, it is probably easier to have your metal detector supplier check it out.
It's usually not the first time they encounter this problem.

For Turmeric Extract powder & Red spinach extract powder the result is positive, detector detects the metal contaminants if present. But only for cinnamon it rejects.

Yes, the metal detector is calibrated & maintained well. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 June 2022 - 12:51 PM

Were all of the test bars being rejected properly?

No one adjusted the settings?

Decant the cinnamon into smaller units----see if they get rejected

Alternatively, you could try a magnet over the material---you may have a large quantity of fines that pass through the sieve but collectively are setting off the detector  NOTE: this will only work for ferrous metal 

Have you inspected the grinder?

are all your spices ground to the same size powder?

Edited by Scampi, 10 June 2022 - 12:51 PM.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 350 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 10 June 2022 - 04:02 PM

You mention that you have sieved the bulk pack and found nothing. It is possible that the foreign material is very small and passing through the sieve. I would try the magnet idea, perhaps a magnet will be able to snag this material.

I agree with others that the metal detector supplier should be involved, perhaps the size of your bulk bag is causing problems for the detector. They should be made aware of -how- you're using the detector, not just calibrating it to their parameters then moving along. Calibrated and well-maintained instruments can still produce inaccurate results if used incorrectly! If it's worth it to you, you could also send the bag to a 3rd party for metal detection to get a confirmation test on a different piece of equipment.

Another novel, but destructive idea: I'm assuming this cinnamon powder floats in water? You could try suspending it in water in a clear glass, with the hope that and metal shavings will sink to the bottom. This of course destroys your product, but could help to identify the foreign material. You know your product better than anyone here, so pursue this only if you think it would suspend well enough in water for this to work.

Rajkumaar

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 11 June 2022 - 04:17 AM

Were all of the test bars being rejected properly?

No one adjusted the settings?

Decant the cinnamon into smaller units----see if they get rejected

Alternatively, you could try a magnet over the material---you may have a large quantity of fines that pass through the sieve but collectively are setting off the detector  NOTE: this will only work for ferrous metal 

Have you inspected the grinder?

are all your spices ground to the same size powder?

Yes, all the test bars are rejected.

No one changed the settings.

OK. I'll try it with smaller units.

OK. I'll try it with magnet.

Thanks. 

Rajkumaar

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 11 June 2022 - 04:18 AM

You mention that you have sieved the bulk pack and found nothing. It is possible that the foreign material is very small and passing through the sieve. I would try the magnet idea, perhaps a magnet will be able to snag this material.

I agree with others that the metal detector supplier should be involved, perhaps the size of your bulk bag is causing problems for the detector. They should be made aware of -how- you're using the detector, not just calibrating it to their parameters then moving along. Calibrated and well-maintained instruments can still produce inaccurate results if used incorrectly! If it's worth it to you, you could also send the bag to a 3rd party for metal detection to get a confirmation test on a different piece of equipment.

Another novel, but destructive idea: I'm assuming this cinnamon powder floats in water? You could try suspending it in water in a clear glass, with the hope that and metal shavings will sink to the bottom. This of course destroys your product, but could help to identify the foreign material. You know your product better than anyone here, so pursue this only if you think it would suspend well enough in water for this to work.

Ok. I'll try it with Magnets & water testing. 

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 599 posts
  • 173 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 June 2022 - 03:28 PM

Might be a silly suggestion, but have you passed the empty drums through your MD to ensure they're not causing a hit?

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 366 posts
  • 87 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 13 June 2022 - 03:56 PM

Looks like you are trying the magnet idea, which is a good idea.  The other suggestion you should follow is checking in the company of your metal detector.  Sometimes different density items can be a nightmare for metal detectors.  Even a slight change in density can mean having to have it readjusted.  I'd imagine humidity may effect the cinnamon and thus could effect the density possibly giving the issue you may be seeing.  It's a solid step to reach out to the metal detector manufacturer and see what they would suggest.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)