Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 June 2022 - 06:59 PM

I have recently accepted a GM position at a local Donut Shop and I want to create a HACCP plan that adequately represents the needs of the food products.  This is my first GM position, and I have a lot to learn in this area.  I've never created an HACCP, and as far as I can find out, the previous owners did not have one.  The only raw ingredients that are used are the cake and yeast donut flour, yeast, brownie mix, and frozen dough used for cream horns.  All the products used are pre-made mixes and don't use raw eggs, butter, or milk.  I've been researching and I want to try to identify CCP's for each step in the process.  Since we don't use products that need to be temperature controlled during the process of making donuts (outside of the fruit fillings), and since the process is simple (measuring out flour, water, yeast etc., cutting and proofing dough, and then frying and finishing with icing or fillings) I'm not sure how to identify the areas that are the highest risk or should be considered CCP's.  I know I sound a little ignorant, but I really want to make sure I'm doing this job right and help make this business safe and successful.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

*side note*  I plan on having all employees who will be preparing or handling food to wear gloves in all steps of the process, from raw product to handling finished product while icing or filling. 

Edited by RoyalDonut, 20 June 2022 - 07:02 PM.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 20 June 2022 - 07:38 PM

Hi RoyalDonut, welcome to our forum. If you're not familiar with HACCP and want to start it from scratch, you'd better hire a consultant as this is a matter of knowledge and experience. RE: gloves - don't be so dependent on them: AFAIK frequent handwashing is more effective in terms of ensuring hygiene practices than wearing gloves. As many people mentioned in other topics here, wearing gloves might give workers false assurance of "clean hands" - hence, they may ignore handwashing which could lead to compromising food safety.

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 89 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 20 June 2022 - 07:39 PM

The first step is being trained in HACCP.  Look up some on-line trainings and such.  They will cost money, but being trained in HACCP, and how to set up the plans, what items to consider, pre-requisite programs, risk assessing, etc. will go a long way and be a valuable resource for you.  Having said that, what makes you so sure there will be CCP's at each step of the process or possibly will there be any CCP's at all?  Sounds to me you are getting most of your ingredients and supplies sent to you, thus the most important program to look at to start would be a supplier approval program as a good supplier approval program will mitigate most of the risk your shop would have. 

I have not been much in retail, but there are some good resources out there to help someone new in retail in terms of food safety and there are certifications you can get in retail.  I'd suggest a good internet search or reach out to other local shops.  You also should read through, understand and enforce GMPs found the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations).  Again, I am not to familiar with the retail side of things, maybe someone else can provide more insight.

Edited by Scotty_SQF, 20 June 2022 - 07:40 PM.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 June 2022 - 07:43 PM

Welcome

Taking a general HACCP course (or find a free one online) should be your first step

A) you may HAVE to wear gloves depending on your state law---but then you need to ensure that hands are still washed and that the gloves do not become a source of contamination

B) lots of resources online for retail HACCP

https://www.fda.gov/...d-service-haccp

https://www.fda.gov/...vice-and-retail

https://www.nal.usda...d-service-haccp

Which is VERY different that what we do at the manufacturing level

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,068 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 20 June 2022 - 07:59 PM

What state are you. Your first step will mostly be - become servsafe certified or something equivalent. Your local health department can help you there on what you exactly need.

https://www.fda.gov/...ants-and-retail

https://www.fda.gov/...gulations-state

HACCP training isn't required for retail/bakery. Another program is required (like ServSafe). When I taught the food code 5 years ago, they had taken the HACCP portion out and only required it for places such as meat lockers.

Edited by kfromNE, 20 June 2022 - 08:02 PM.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 20 June 2022 - 08:06 PM

Are these hand made donuts or punch and dumps?

If handmade -  I've never seen a donut baker wear gloves and we've had a couple of donut places as clients.

It is difficult to work in gloves as a baker.

On the subject of HACCP and assuming this is not a franchise (franchisors normally have at least a template for this and will provide free of charge) most certainly take a haccp course http://AIBonline.comis great for instance - take a look at this as well --- https://bakerpedia.c...n-for-bakeries/

Edited by SQFconsultant, 20 June 2022 - 08:09 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 June 2022 - 09:11 PM

I have recently accepted a GM position at a local Donut Shop and I want to create a HACCP plan that adequately represents the needs of the food products.  This is my first GM position, and I have a lot to learn in this area.  I've never created an HACCP, and as far as I can find out, the previous owners did not have one.  The only raw ingredients that are used are the cake and yeast donut flour, yeast, brownie mix, and frozen dough used for cream horns.  All the products used are pre-made mixes and don't use raw eggs, butter, or milk.  I've been researching and I want to try to identify CCP's for each step in the process.  Since we don't use products that need to be temperature controlled during the process of making donuts (outside of the fruit fillings), and since the process is simple (measuring out flour, water, yeast etc., cutting and proofing dough, and then frying and finishing with icing or fillings) I'm not sure how to identify the areas that are the highest risk or should be considered CCP's.  I know I sound a little ignorant, but I really want to make sure I'm doing this job right and help make this business safe and successful.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

*side note*  I plan on having all employees who will be preparing or handling food to wear gloves in all steps of the process, from raw product to handling finished product while icing or filling. 

Hi Rdvlle,

No desire to be overly negative but, IMO,  HACCP and the development of HACCP plans are not readily, teach-yourself projects unless you have a sufficient, scientific, knowledge base.

If you do have a relevant technical background that is encouraging, if otherwise, I suggest you initially seek some (at least one) HACCP-Qualified personnel.

The decision using Codex haccp as to whether the frying step in yr process is a CCP or not has probably generated as much debate here as almost any other haccp-related query. And remains open. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

RDVLLE

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2022 - 12:31 AM

Hi RoyalDonut, welcome to our forum. If you're not familiar with HACCP and want to start it from scratch, you'd better hire a consultant as this is a matter of knowledge and experience. RE: gloves - don't be so dependent on them: AFAIK frequent handwashing is more effective in terms of ensuring hygiene practices than wearing gloves. As many people mentioned in other topics here, wearing gloves might give workers false assurance of "clean hands" - hence, they may ignore handwashing which could lead to compromising food safety.

Thank you!

RDVLLE

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2022 - 12:34 AM

The first step is being trained in HACCP. Look up some on-line trainings and such. They will cost money, but being trained in HACCP, and how to set up the plans, what items to consider, pre-requisite programs, risk assessing, etc. will go a long way and be a valuable resource for you. Having said that, what makes you so sure there will be CCP's at each step of the process or possibly will there be any CCP's at all? Sounds to me you are getting most of your ingredients and supplies sent to you, thus the most important program to look at to start would be a supplier approval program as a good supplier approval program will mitigate most of the risk your shop would have.

I have not been much in retail, but there are some good resources out there to help someone new in retail in terms of food safety and there are certifications you can get in retail. I'd suggest a good internet search or reach out to other local shops. You also should read through, understand and enforce GMPs found the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations). Again, I am not to familiar with the retail side of things, maybe someone else can provide more insight.

This is kind of my question too. Since the previous owners didn't have an HACCP (and they were pretty meticulous with record keeping, following guidelines etc) I'm wondering if I even need one. I'll need to check in with my boss and see if we have a supplier approval program set in place.

RDVLLE

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2022 - 12:35 AM

Welcome

Taking a general HACCP course (or find a free one online) should be your first step

A) you may HAVE to wear gloves depending on your state law---but then you need to ensure that hands are still washed and that the gloves do not become a source of contamination

B) lots of resources online for retail HACCP
https://www.fda.gov/...d-service-haccp
https://www.fda.gov/...vice-and-retail
https://www.nal.usda...d-service-haccp

Which is VERY different that what we do at the manufacturing level

Thank you! And thank you for the resources!

RDVLLE

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2022 - 12:44 AM

What state are you. Your first step will mostly be - become servsafe certified or something equivalent. Your local health department can help you there on what you exactly need.

https://www.fda.gov/...ants-and-retail

https://www.fda.gov/...gulations-state

HACCP training isn't required for retail/bakery. Another program is required (like ServSafe). When I taught the food code 5 years ago, they had taken the HACCP portion out and only required it for places such as meat lockers.

Thank you! The local health dept came in and already did a walk through with us going over what needed to be completed before opening. HACCP wasn't mentioned. I recently finished a food manager course and got my certification, and they mentioned the HACCP requirements pretty heavily in the last section of the course regarding regulations which is mostly why I created the post. I'm going to look into the resources that have been left in the thread and I'll ask the health department when the do our check before opening. Thank you again!

RDVLLE

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2022 - 12:48 AM

Are these hand made donuts or punch and dumps?

If handmade - I've never seen a donut baker wear gloves and we've had a couple of donut places as clients.

It is difficult to work in gloves as a baker.

On the subject of HACCP and assuming this is not a franchise (franchisors normally have at least a template for this and will provide free of charge) most certainly take a haccp course http://AIBonline.comis great for instance - take a look at this as well --- https://bakerpedia.c...n-for-bakeries/

These are punch and dump, and it's just a small local shop. I don't know if the HACCP is required, but I think I'm going to find some course material anyway, if for nothing else but educational purposes lol. If it is required, I'll talk to the owner and have him set up a training course. Thank you for the resources!

RDVLLE

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2022 - 12:52 AM

Hi Rdvlle,

No desire to be overly negative but, IMO, HACCP and the development of HACCP plans are not readily, teach-yourself projects unless you have a sufficient, scientific, knowledge base.

If you do have a relevant technical background that is encouraging, if otherwise, I suggest you initially seek some (at least one) HACCP-Qualified personnel.

The decision using Codex haccp as to whether the frying step in yr process is a CCP or not has probably generated as much debate here as almost any other haccp-related query. And remains open. :smile:

Lol, I noticed frying and baking seemed to be touchy CCP topics already when I was looking through the forum 🤣

When I was taking the food manager course, the HACCP process seemed extremely complicated which is what brought me to the forum, and I definitely do not have technical knowledge lol, so I'm hoping HACCP is not actually required 😅

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 852 posts
  • 291 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2022 - 04:54 AM

Lol, I noticed frying and baking seemed to be touchy CCP topics already when I was looking through the forum

When I was taking the food manager course, the HACCP process seemed extremely complicated which is what brought me to the forum, and I definitely do not have technical knowledge lol, so I'm hoping HACCP is not actually required

Well, it may not be NEEDED, but I think its good thing that you are at least thinking about risks and how to reduce them.    A basic HACCP class is pretty cheap on line.    

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,068 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 21 June 2022 - 11:47 AM

This is kind of my question too. Since the previous owners didn't have an HACCP (and they were pretty meticulous with record keeping, following guidelines etc) I'm wondering if I even need one. I'll need to check in with my boss and see if we have a supplier approval program set in place.

If you need a supplier approval program - it'll be pretty basic.

Watch the labeling guidelines too. If you sell donuts behind a counter for people to pick out - no labels required. If you sell them in a box on the counter - you may need a label with at least the ingredient statement.

You are small enough to probably not need a nutrition facts label.

I've worked in retail/state food code and federal FDA and USDA food laws. The state food code is easier to manage.

One big difference - the state food code tells you what you have to do - more black and white. The federal food laws - show proof that you are following the guidelines that can be vague. So many gray areas.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users