• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 July 2022 - 05:33 PM

What would you do?

Scenerio:  You walk in with your credential but know absolutely NADA about the company yet.  CAR is due for recent SQF audit.  Some ideas would be great to kick off my thought process here.  I am at a loss :shutup: .

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 20 July 2022 - 05:43 PM

Hello pcmalave,

To nail down your situation, I'm assuming you've come into a new role and find yourself up against the due date for a NC related to the company's lack of internal auditing system? I wonder:

- Is an internal auditing system already in place, but not being followed?

- Or, is there no internal auditing system in place at all?

My approach to internal auditing has always been to split the applicable regulations into parts and audit each one throughout the year. That way you have enough time to focus on each section of the code. It also sets smaller, more accountable timeframes for the auditing. In your case, if you split the code into manageable parts, you may have time to at least perform one internal audit before the CAR response is due. This could then be used as proof that internal auditing has improved since the last SQF inspection.

Attached is an example of what an internal auditing schedule might look like when split into parts. I'm not SQF, but my understanding is that the SQF code could be split into similar sub-parts.

Attached Files

Thanked by 3 Members:

CallMePatti

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 July 2022 - 05:55 PM

You got it!  A bare boned Internal Audit program in place not followed.  CAR due in two days.  I better get my magic hat and wand out!  Thank you so much.  This site is a wealth of hands on info and I appreciate it.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 20 July 2022 - 06:01 PM

Don't give up: document your corrective actions, attach the internal audit plan, and submit a CAR. Stick to your plan and go ahead, good luck to you!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Miss Frankie

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 265 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 July 2022 - 06:07 PM

I'm not too far behind you. I started here in December.  Nobody seems to know who does what.  Found out yesterday that this year is an unannounced audit, which could happen as early as August! 
I can find minimal accounts of internal audits.  A co-worker and I do small monthly audits, just walk the floor and note items that need to be addresses, and bring those up at a monthly  SQF meeting. But a full on internal audit hasn't been done, and the one person who has done it in the past is on vacation.  

Good luck!

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 20 July 2022 - 06:13 PM

Can you "convert" your small audits into internal audits? To adjust documentation a little bit...?

CallMePatti

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 July 2022 - 06:17 PM

Don't give up: document your corrective actions, attach the internal audit plan, and submit a CAR. Stick to your plan and go ahead, good luck to you!

That is the plan.. Wanted to check in with this community for a hail mary!  thanks!

CallMePatti

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 July 2022 - 06:20 PM

Can you "convert" your small audits into internal audits? To adjust documentation a little bit...?

It seems that ALL areas could use some tightening but it's worth a shot.  Thx!

hello.fizz

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 10 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 21 July 2022 - 01:52 AM

We have an SQF internal audit schedule and all SQF items are spread throughout the year. So each month I have say 6 to do, making it much more manageable. I record it digitally on the SQF checklist available from the sqfi website. My trainer did say that internal auditing is separate to document review, and it is the document review that takes up much more time and effort. 

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,231 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 21 July 2022 - 04:34 AM

Hi CallMePatti,

You can’t change history, so together with your CAR submit a new internal audit schedule plus at least one audit if you can manage to get one done.

Also remember that there needs to be inspections of the site and equipment so submit a plan for those as well.

Good luck,

Tony

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 21 July 2022 - 05:10 PM

Call cb, explain being brand new and that ypu need more time. High likely hood you will get it.

The issue is that you file you car in 2 days, it still must be reviewed and either acepted or rejected - not worth a fail.

Call them up.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic