• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 July 2022 - 10:56 AM

Hi all,

Looking for some advice and/or recommendations please!

I work in a turkey abattoir. The cleaning is done via power washing and the use of hoses, so can generate a lot of moisture.

We are currently struggling with our EFKs not being up to the job of withstanding such moisture.

Does anyone have any other pest control methods in use for flies? OR

Can anyone recommend any decent EFK units that can withstand moisture?

Thanks in advance,

Jen

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 26 July 2022 - 11:26 AM

Greetings Jen,

Non-electronic fly traps can include adhesive tapes or pheromone traps as active measures and the betterment (maybe) of supplement equipment as passive measures, like air/ plastic curtains on the entrances, screens on windows and vents etc.

For the active methods you will of course need the non-toxicity MSDS and all necessary documentation. As a side note the pheromone traps should be used with caution, cause there are cases that misdosage or leakage attracted more flies, so you could make experimental use for a time period under close monitoring with the pest control company.

I recently heard also of a device that produces some frequency that repels bugs but can't elaborate as to the efficiency of it or any possible side effects.

Regards!

Edited by Evans X., 26 July 2022 - 11:28 AM.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 July 2022 - 12:34 PM

replace it with a water proof version https://www.gardnerf...product/ifly40/      AND cover/unplug it during sanitation activities

FYI-you may also want to check your overall air flow-----sounds to me like you're pulling air from live hang- and it should be the other way around.

If you're pulling enough air from chill/evis toward live hang this will significantly reduce the number of flies as they really don't like to fly against the air flow

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

jenw91

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2022 - 08:23 AM

Thank you both!

We've sourced a waterproof EFK to trial. Will also trial some non-electronic types in non-production areas.

Miss Frankie

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 265 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 August 2022 - 11:42 PM

We use Insect Light Traps and don't have a problem in our wet facility.

The light attracts the insect, and has a glue board inside the insect sticks too.

In the 9 months I've been at this facility, there has been 1 light bulb that needed replaced. 

We are in the US, but the ILT our PCO recommends come from Europe.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users