• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 September 2022 - 09:25 PM

Good Evening All!

I was wondering if I could get an opinion or two on an issue that I was discussing with a friend earlier this week. She manages a fish processing plant, the business is run by a father/son dynamic - the son being the managing director and the father being a more old-school fisherman type of person.

She said that they had an audit last week, and when the auditor went into the cold store, there were boxes of prawns being stored in there that technically shouldn't have been in there. The facility was registered for fish processing only, and therefore no risk assessment was completed for crustacean storage. She said the auditor picked up on this straight away, and left her spluttering when asked what they were doing in there .. as she was unaware of their presence.

It turns out that the father (owner) was storing them for a friend who was having his restaurant refurbished with new freezers etc. The son (owner) and my friend were totally unaware of this. 

We talked about how she could rectify this situation, so that the auditor has evidence that this will never happen again. I suggested that a corrective action report should be issued to the father (owner) for bringing the materials onsite. It seems a little pointless to write it into the HACCP because of an act of stupidity. She said the son (owner) was so angry that his father wont be pulling another stunt like this again in a hurry.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  :ejut: 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 03 September 2022 - 01:05 AM

Did the audit fail?

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 03 September 2022 - 03:48 AM

Hi Dee70,

I would tend to agree with your planned corrective action. As well as taking the matter up with the owner, all personnel should be briefed on this incident and that materials other than those currently approved for use on site are not permitted.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Dee70

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 September 2022 - 08:10 AM

Did the audit fail?

I didn't like to ask .. I presume so .. she seemed distressed enough about this incident .. it sounds like a carry-on indeed!

Hi Dee70,

I would tend to agree with your planned corrective action. As well as taking the matter up with the owner, all personnel should be briefed on this incident and that materials other than those currently approved for use on site are not permitted.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thank you kindly Tony ... I told her as much .. it's definitely one of those situations where I'm glad it's not me   :spoton:

Leila Burin

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 154 posts
  • 45 thanks
Excellent

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 06 September 2022 - 01:18 PM

Hello,

Just to add that here in Spain this is a “common” scenario, were family running facilities (mainly spices ones), store “just to sell to some friends” o nearby restaurants some products that one gets noticed the same audit day while walking the warehouses. Everyone with the surprise face on; and start asking who/what/how this is there…

Of course everyone knows, otherwise there would be a serious internal communication problem.

So, on my opinion, CAP shall also be based on internal communication, food safety culture, and risk assessment to understand which new risks could arise from those out of scope products stored

best regrds,

Leila

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 September 2022 - 02:07 PM

I hope you also cautioned her that the fathers' behaviour will not change (no matter how much training he receives) and that the QC department will need to continue to be vigilant in this regard

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users