Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 265 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2022 - 03:21 PM

We product high end surimi based imitation crab.  Our labels say "Alaskan Snow Legs"

The labels state 'made with crab flavor'.

The customer complained they they purchased the bag thinking it was crab legs and later realized it was imitation crab.

Now they want a refund.  

How would you handle this?

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 28 September 2022 - 03:33 PM

Personally, I would work to refund them the bag. It's technically their fault for not understanding your product, but situations like this I see more benefit in maintaining relationships with customers rather than saving a sale on a single bag. 

If you repeatedly get concerns like this, it may be worth revisiting the wording on your product with the marketing team if it's causing lots of complaints. Otherwise, I would consider this a one-off.

Edited by Brothbro, 28 September 2022 - 03:34 PM.

juanolea1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 46 posts
  • 18 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2022 - 03:34 PM

Hello,

Give the client a refund and let him know that your team will review the package disclaimer so that there is no confusion as to the contents in the package.

Discuss the complaint with your teammates. Maybe changes to the ingredient disclaimer are necessary? clarification? font size? color?

What comes out out of the meeting should be satisfactory to close the complaint.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2022 - 03:45 PM

A significant portion of the consumer complaints our team gets are "user error" type events (people just don't bother to read the package).  They still usually get the equivalent of a refund for customer satisfaction (coupons for replacement).

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 28 September 2022 - 03:51 PM

Information on the product label should not be misleading - which is, I  think, your case: the label should state a common name of the product, which is surimi. 

Miss Frankie

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 265 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2022 - 04:02 PM

I talked to my boss and she is referring the matter to marketing since it's not really a quality issue. 
Our sales manager is going to reach out to the consumer directly.

Thanks!

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military History, Reading

Posted 28 September 2022 - 04:31 PM

Whenever there is an error we always take the blame and go for the refund, unless there is blatant fraud where the relationship cannot and should not be salvaged.  It might seem counterintuitive but even if you are right you need to take the blame and admit that you were wrong.  Salvage the customer relationship and act in good faith.  The customer will stay and you will have a reputation for being engaged and responsive instead of being rude or cheap.

As for labeling, I would agree with Brothbro, if you see several of these complaints in a month then it is a pattern.  If it is only once or twice a year then it is user error.

Cheers!@

Vice President and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

Miss Frankie

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 265 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2022 - 10:07 PM

Whenever there is an error we always take the blame and go for the refund, unless there is blatant fraud where the relationship cannot and should not be salvaged.  It might seem counterintuitive but even if you are right you need to take the blame and admit that you were wrong.  Salvage the customer relationship and act in good faith.  The customer will stay and you will have a reputation for being engaged and responsive instead of being rude or cheap.

As for labeling, I would agree with Brothbro, if you see several of these complaints in a month then it is a pattern.  If it is only once or twice a year then it is user error.

Cheers!@

I think the end result will be a refund. 

This is only the 2nd one that I know about in the past year.  Oddly enough, the last one was almost exactly 1 years ago.

Labels have been approved by FDA and USDC.

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military History, Reading

Posted 29 September 2022 - 09:49 AM

I think the end result will be a refund. 

This is only the 2nd one that I know about in the past year.  Oddly enough, the last one was almost exactly 1 years ago.

Labels have been approved by FDA and USDC.

I think you are right then.  Refund the customer and save the relationship.  It does not appear to be a label issue at all and you have good documentation to back it up with your label approval/certifications.  Log it and keep it in the back of your mind just in case.

Cheers!

Vice President and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 29 September 2022 - 11:10 AM

People will blame you for the label, but that doesn't mean it is your fault.

-Setanta         

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 October 2022 - 05:04 PM

Almost every imitation crab product I buy states "Imitation" pretty clearly on the front of the package (such as the one below).  Without seeing your label, I think big words implying actual crab legs with small print stating it is fish is potentially misleading.

As for a complaint you might view as frivolous, I've always tended to believe refunding the customer is a small and cheap gesture towards satisfaction.

large_5df4e84f-14b5-453f-9a7d-68ca6f4751

Edited by jfrey123, 07 October 2022 - 05:04 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Miss Frankie

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 265 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 October 2022 - 05:34 PM

Our label says "Alaska Snow Legs"   

then below that it states

"Crab Flavored Seafood" in the description.

We produce a higher quality product than Trans Ocean, but I do like their bags better.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users