• 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 October 2022 - 06:50 PM

Hello,

long time user, first post.

I am in the USA (CA) under USDA oversight; FSSC 22000.

looking to reduce sanitation labor, not headcount.

currently we have 7 fryers, we empty and clean the fryers every night. we do have a tank where we recycle our oil.

do we have to clean the fryer every night? can we filter oil and fill back up without cleaning the fryer?

I would like to validate for sanitary conditions and allergens.

i worked at a facility 10 years ago that I am 80% sure we didn't empty and clean the fryers on a nightly basis. at this facility, i also did a LTD (Less Than Daily) cleaning study of spiral freezers. do i take the same approach?

it's been 10 years since i worked in USDA facility so i am a little rusty and don't have many resources.

Last question, off topic...Does anyone have a checklist of the ISO/FSSC 22000 requirements that i could use to prep for audits? i created a cool one for SQF and wish i could find one for FSSC.

thank you in advance for your insight and help.

Edited by kcanales02, 04 October 2022 - 06:51 PM.

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 05 October 2022 - 07:51 AM

Greetings,

Generally it is not good practice not to clean the fryers after their use. It can cause several issues, from deterioration to the equipment due to accumulated residues produced from frying to allergen residues if you don't use them only for a specific food type. There is also the quality issues, cause leftover oil exposed to oxygen tends to lead to bad taste (I will leave out possible long-term health problems due to free-radicals creation as it is far-fetched in your case).

Also leftover oil and possible residues may cause fire when you reheat, leading to work accidents (recently a company was half-burned by a fire that started on the fumes absorber over the fryer exactly due to accumulated oil and residues and they had concluded in a similar analysis as your LTD that it would be ok to clean once a week).

For your second question, FSSC is providing free access to each scheme documents and it is pretty straight forward. You can see the scheme itself or the audit template or the ISO 22000 gap analysis, as well as the guidance documents here:

https://www.fssc2200...ts-version-5-1/

Regards!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 October 2022 - 11:16 AM

Hello,

long time user, first post.

I am in the USA (CA) under USDA oversight; FSSC 22000.

looking to reduce sanitation labor, not headcount.

currently we have 7 fryers, we empty and clean the fryers every night. we do have a tank where we recycle our oil.

do we have to clean the fryer every night? can we filter oil and fill back up without cleaning the fryer?

I would like to validate for sanitary conditions and allergens.

i worked at a facility 10 years ago that I am 80% sure we didn't empty and clean the fryers on a nightly basis. at this facility, i also did a LTD (Less Than Daily) cleaning study of spiral freezers. do i take the same approach?

it's been 10 years since i worked in USDA facility so i am a little rusty and don't have many resources.

Last question, off topic...Does anyone have a checklist of the ISO/FSSC 22000 requirements that i could use to prep for audits? i created a cool one for SQF and wish i could find one for FSSC.

thank you in advance for your insight and help.

hi kcanales,

Not in USA.

IMEX cleaning is a big job. My experience parallels yours but may also relate to style of running (topping up etc) and maybe any restrictive  FFA requirements.(afaik modern fryers are much better at self-cleansing than the old ones).

IQF rapid freezers (not spiral) involuntarily cleaned every night due product variations.

For last bit see -

https://www.ifsqn.co...st/#entry174708

There is also a pdf version here -

https://www.ifsqn.co...v5/#entry172987

I note these were posted in 2021. I'm unaware if fssc have added any more extras in "additionals" since then (can refer to site link in Post 2).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users