• Quick Navigation
Photo

PRPs , GMPs , GHP , GSP , GAP , what is the differences ?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

mhosn

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 15 October 2022 - 06:28 AM

I have a confusion between the definition of or the difference between PRPs , GMPs , GHP , GSP , GAP. 

is PRPs are GMP , GHP , GSP , GAP but the name change according to the industry field . 

Or the PRPS are some other activities.

for example : Pest control is PRP , so it will not be GMP or Both .   Hand washing are GHP but not GMP or PRP or Both .

I need examples and reference please

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 October 2022 - 10:12 AM

I have a confusion between the definition of or the difference between PRPs , GMPs , GHP , GSP , GAP. 

is PRPs are GMP , GHP , GSP , GAP but the name change according to the industry field . 

Or the PRPS are some other activities.

for example : Pest control is PRP , so it will not be GMP or Both .   Hand washing are GHP but not GMP or PRP or Both .

I need examples and reference please

Hi mhosny,

I hope this quote from iso22000:2018 adequately answers yr query -

prerequisite programme
PRP
basic conditions and activities that are necessary within the organization (3.31) and throughout the food chain (3.20) to maintain food safety

Note 1 to entry: The PRPs needed depend on the segment of the food chain in which the organization operates and the type of organization.

Examples of equivalent terms are: good agricultural practice (GAP), good veterinary practice  (GVP),  good  manufacturing  practice  (GMP),  good  hygiene  practice  (GHP),  good  production  practice (GPP), good distribution practice (GDP) and good trading practice (GTP).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 693 posts
  • 229 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 October 2022 - 11:06 AM

I was told by an SQF Auditor to think of your initial PRPs as covering the physical aspects of your process: Building, machinery, location, layout, sanitation program, PM program etc. The GMP portion of PRPs covers "practices", activities and actions related to personnel interaction: Hand washing, food usage, personal items left out, wearing jewelry, hair and beard nets, etc. Hope this helps!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 November 2022 - 03:57 PM

I was told by an SQF Auditor to think of your initial PRPs as covering the physical aspects of your process: Building, machinery, location, layout, sanitation program, PM program etc. The GMP portion of PRPs covers "practices", activities and actions related to personnel interaction: Hand washing, food usage, personal items left out, wearing jewelry, hair and beard nets, etc. Hope this helps!

Hi Hoosiersmoker,

I suggest yr SQF auditor read the section on PRPs in  FDA's fundamental publication on HACCP of 1997. He/she is about 25 years out of date.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,522 posts
  • 1517 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 November 2022 - 04:46 PM

GMPs ( and similar) are behaviors that follow a PRP

PRP to control bacterial contamination requires hands are washed when entering the production area

GMP is the employees washing their hands as required

Monitored by a tech and marked on a log

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 693 posts
  • 229 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 November 2022 - 04:56 PM

Hi Hoosiersmoker,

I suggest yr SQF auditor read the section on PRPs in  FDA's fundamental publication on HACCP of 1997. He/she is about 25 years out of date.

Not sure what century you're working out of, but neither that auditor nor myself use 25 year old information for our program :lol2: . As I stated, as a foundation to your HACCP plan, your initial (written of course) PRPs should address assuring the physical aspects of your building and machinery / equipment are appropriate, flow properly, and are maintained as such to reduce food safety issues as much as possible. GMPs address interaction of people and product to further reduce food safety risks. After that, the finer, more focused points of HA and any CCPs control any additional food safety issues. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 November 2022 - 07:43 PM

Not sure what century you're working out of, but neither that auditor nor myself use 25 year old information for our program :lol2: . As I stated, as a foundation to your HACCP plan, your initial (written of course) PRPs should address assuring the physical aspects of your building and machinery / equipment are appropriate, flow properly, and are maintained as such to reduce food safety issues as much as possible. GMPs address interaction of people and product to further reduce food safety risks. After that, the finer, more focused points of HA and any CCPs control any additional food safety issues. 

Hi Hoosiersmoker,

The FDA's initiative triggered the expansion of the Scope of PRPs as per most current HAs  but perhaps the News hasn't reached SQF yet.

Could always donate a copy of ISO22002-X

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users