• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 October 2022 - 01:52 PM

Good morning everyone,

We are currently certified under SQF standards. Our company would like to see if the other systems, either BRC or FSSC22000 would be more advantageous. I have seen that several articles on this site mention pros and cons of each certification.

Note that we do not manufacture food products, but we repackage it.

We use category 25 ''Repackaging of Products not Manufactured On-site'' and 26 ''Storage and distribution '' 

In terms of fees, is there a difference between all of them ?

Also, in terms of paperwork and audit frequency, is there one of them that is more advantageous ? 

Our SQF system is pretty solid and we do very well in our audits, so is it worth making the switch ?

I just want to get different people's opinion on this, whether this could be a possibility or it's not worth it

thanks in advance :) 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 October 2022 - 02:24 PM

It's not worth it to switch

The fees are roughly the same, where you'll notice the difference is between certifying bodies

FSSC and BRC will both require a bit MORE paperwork (IMO) as well you may have to change the wording in some procedures to satisfy programs and/or the auditors

The audit frequency and duration are dictated by GFSI and you will find little to no difference on that front

What sort of advantages is management looking for?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

caroline2771

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 October 2022 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I think the major advantage they are looking for are the fees.

If there's no major fee difference between each of the certification, I think we won't go that way.

Other companies we are working with said BRC was cheaper and somehow ''easier'' regarding the paperwork but I guess each company has its own ''pros and cons''

thank you!

G M

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 483 posts
  • 94 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 October 2022 - 03:42 PM

I think the major advantage they are looking for are the fees.

If there's no major fee difference between each of the certification, I think we won't go that way.

Other companies we are working with said BRC was cheaper and somehow ''easier'' ...

As Scampi mentioned the price will have more to do with the certifying body than the GFSI scheme.

whateva

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 October 2022 - 04:00 PM

Hi Caroline,

In short not worth the switch. Since you already invested so much in maintaining the SQF system.

Being located in Canada myself, I understand the push/tug relationship for SQFvsBRCGSvsFSSC 22000 from different suppliers globally.

Preventative Controls wise, legislatively and prescriptively, SQF is more aligned to different systems. 

Hope this helps.

Eva

Good morning everyone,

We are currently certified under SQF standards. Our company would like to see if the other systems, either BRC or FSSC22000 would be more advantageous. I have seen that several articles on this site mention pros and cons of each certification.

Note that we do not manufacture food products, but we repackage it.

We use category 25 ''Repackaging of Products not Manufactured On-site'' and 26 ''Storage and distribution '' 

In terms of fees, is there a difference between all of them ?

Also, in terms of paperwork and audit frequency, is there one of them that is more advantageous ? 

Our SQF system is pretty solid and we do very well in our audits, so is it worth making the switch ?

I just want to get different people's opinion on this, whether this could be a possibility or it's not worth it

thanks in advance :) 

caroline2771

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 October 2022 - 04:10 PM

Thanks everyone

Staying with SQF will then be it :)

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 October 2022 - 07:40 PM

Thanks everyone

Staying with SQF will then be it :)

Hi caroline,

The usual initial question is as to whether whomsoever is receiving yr audited Certificate cares which Standard you choose. Very often they do. If so, end of story.

IMHO, all the mentioned Standards are PITAS in some, often different, ways. If all else is equal, maybe better the poison you know..

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 27 October 2022 - 09:28 PM

I take it you have been grandfathered under 1 SQF cert instead of having to having to have two sep certs - one for the food handling/repack and one for storage/distribution.

Now, I'm a bit bias having been one of the first SQF Auditors and having (and still are) developed entire SQF systems etc but I see no reason to switch or add one of the other ones to the mix.

SQF is relatively easier to develop and maintain vs. British Retail Consortium and while I did train on FSSC as an Auditor and added FSSC for our eConsultant program I found it to be a completely different animal than SQF and BRC for that matter.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

caroline2771

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 October 2022 - 01:27 PM

I take it you have been grandfathered under 1 SQF cert instead of having to having to have two sep certs - one for the food handling/repack and one for storage/distribution.

Now, I'm a bit bias having been one of the first SQF Auditors and having (and still are) developed entire SQF systems etc but I see no reason to switch or add one of the other ones to the mix.

SQF is relatively easier to develop and maintain vs. British Retail Consortium and while I did train on FSSC as an Auditor and added FSSC for our eConsultant program I found it to be a completely different animal than SQF and BRC for that matter.

Thank you for your advice. It seems that my company wasn't aware of all the ''disadvantages ' of changing the certification program. 

And for my part I didn't know anything about the FSSC so this helps me greatly. We will stay with what we have and continue to improve our program in that matters.
At least thanks to all the advice here I will have several points to bring them, it was just a business suggestion because as you know, everyone loves new challenges  :hypocrite:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users