• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 November 2022 - 08:27 PM

Hello!

I manage food safety for a chain of grocery stores in the US, and I am trying to find some software to help us with our temperature checks. We currently use a third-party vendor, but their equipment is extremely unreliable so we are looking for other options.

The process is currently:

- An employee is given a list of areas that need to be temped (deli meat, salad bar, grain bar, hot food bar, soup, grab-and-go wall, etc).

- The employee goes to each listed area, types in the specific item temped, and takes the temperature of the item.

- If the temperature is within the appropriate range, no additional action is needed.

- If the temperature is outside of the appropriate range, they are given a list of potential corrective actions and must choose one, and add optional notes.

- These temperature checks are set for specific times throughout the day, where all items need to be temped between 10am-11am, 1pm-2pm, 3pm-4pm, etc.

- Having the ability to track and trend the results, export reports, etc company wide is also necessary. Automatic daily reports would be ideal.

The issue that I am running into is that most food safety software has tons of other options that we just don't need. We don't need the ability to do internal audits, or temperature monitoring of storage areas, etc.

The other concern is that the software must work with a thermometer that can take both infrared and probe temperatures.

Does anyone know of any companies that I could investigate?

Thanks!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 November 2022 - 08:50 PM

Any reason you cannot just use excel? you could use the same format at all locations, and use the power to excel to track/trend all the data?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

seanpaulrader

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 November 2022 - 09:00 PM

I'm happy to use Excel for the tracking/trending of the data, but using Excel for recording at the store level would add complexity and wouldn't automagically prompt for corrective actions when needed. If we were going to use Excel at the store level we might as well go back to doing it on paper.

enelso

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 March 2023 - 11:37 PM

Look into the engineering software Ignition.  This was be wired to digital thermometers and record conditions continuously with alarms if above set point.

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 10 March 2023 - 08:03 AM

I have sometimes seen a thermometer that you use for the check, give in the product, and gives in green or red f the temperature is correct and then store it in the thermometer. It could be downloaded from the thermometer. It was in a time wifi was not very common. Unfortunately it was not a common brand in this area.

However I just checked for you the website of Testo. They have something like that with thermometer that sends through wifi the results to a sort of tablet which checks the measures and give approve/ not approve and also has the ability to perform analyses.

I do not know the price. They also have one that you works on bluetooth that works with your smartphone. 

I am sure that renowned suppliers in your area, must have someting similar. 

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users