Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 November 2022 - 05:46 PM

I'm the Quality Control Manager/SQF Practioner/PSQI, etc. (many hats here) of a small company. We have the potential of being a co-packer/manufacturer of a fish product. I don't know many details yet but have never dealt with fish, only dairy. I was wondering if I can get some professional information on where to start. Do I need a different HACCP training for fish? Any other training specific to fish?

Thanks ahead of time for any information you can send my way.

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,070 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 22 November 2022 - 06:07 PM

You will need seafood HACCP.

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,070 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 23 November 2022 - 12:44 PM

Cornell has the first portion of seafood HACCP online for good price.

https://seafoodhaccp.cornell.edu/

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 November 2022 - 02:03 PM

I'm the Quality Control Manager/SQF Practioner/PSQI, etc. (many hats here) of a small company. We have the potential of being a co-packer/manufacturer of a fish product. I don't know many details yet but have never dealt with fish, only dairy. I was wondering if I can get some professional information on where to start. Do I need a different HACCP training for fish? Any other training specific to fish?

Hi CC,

Frankly Dairy and Fish are 2 different Worlds from a HACCP POV.

FDA issue a freely downloadable/famous publication/manual on Guidance of haccp/Fishery hazards. Attached at various places on this Forum.

Seafood Alliance offer afaik (I'm not in USA) a recognised Training Course / US certification on haccp/Fishery Products.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

MattBerrie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 November 2022 - 02:57 PM

The AFDO (Association of Food and Drug Officals) Seafood HACCP based out of Cornell extension mentioned above is the gold standard, and recognized by the FDA. FDA can get very picky about an individual having Seafood HACCP, not meat/dairy. Where are you located? Good Luck!

Matthew Berrie, Director of Food Safety

NAFCO Wholesale Fish / Congressional Seafood Company

7775 Chesapeake Bay Ct

Jessup, MD 20794

See our plant here - 

https://www.youtube....h?v=k86BmBaDG7g

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 November 2022 - 03:23 PM

The AFDO (Association of Food and Drug Officals) Seafood HACCP based out of Cornell extension mentioned above is the gold standard, and recognized by the FDA. FDA can get very picky about an individual having Seafood HACCP, not meat/dairy. Where are you located? Good Luck!

Hi Matt,

I would have thought FDA were the "Gold Standard" for Products within their jurisdiction. Unless FDA is a subsidiary of AFDO of course ?.

FDA vs USDA, 2 different Worlds ? :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

C_Custer

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 November 2022 - 04:14 PM

The AFDO (Association of Food and Drug Officals) Seafood HACCP based out of Cornell extension mentioned above is the gold standard, and recognized by the FDA. FDA can get very picky about an individual having Seafood HACCP, not meat/dairy. Where are you located? Good Luck!

MattBerrie-what do you mean by "FDA can get very picky about an individual having Seafood HACCP, not meat/dairy. We're located in Washington state.

Jeffrey Ort

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 December 2022 - 02:39 PM

MattBerrie-what do you mean by "FDA can get very picky about an individual having Seafood HACCP, not meat/dairy. We're located in Washington state.

Hi - Matt is correct, most FDA inspections and Inspectors will ask who is the Seafood HACCP trained individual, and verification of training, as they are responsible for writing, managing and reviewing the Seafood HACCP plan. The easiest way to convey the qualification is taking the AFDO course and receiving the Certificate.

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 441 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 24 December 2022 - 04:42 AM

Although part 123 of the US food code (seafood) does not require formal HACCP training, part 117 introduced by FSMA which replaced seafood GMPs part 110 does. This is where the Feds have you over the barrel. You are not a "qualified" individual if you cannot provide training records.

Back in the day, it was perfectly acceptable to simply have a copy of the hazards guidance, and just prove competency with inspection evidence.

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users