• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 November 2022 - 04:15 PM

Hello All,

Is anyone here giving out products as donations? How does your company protect themselves from liability when they donate their products?

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,615 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 29 November 2022 - 04:30 PM

I would think that the company should treat it like a sale.
Record the Product, the Flavor, the Date Code, etc. just like you would if it were a sale.

Do not donate old, out of date, or otherwise unwholesome product, just like you would not sell it.

• G M likes this

-Setanta         

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 29 November 2022 - 04:41 PM

My company owners donate products for my church (they're Orthodox Christians, same as I am). No liability protection: I just bring products to church and give out to our parishioners. So far, no complaints from people. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,522 posts
  • 1517 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 November 2022 - 05:31 PM

Agree with Setanta---there isn't any liability (no different than retail) as long as what you are donating is wholesome

Your question makes it sound like perhaps something isn't quite above board?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 210 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 November 2022 - 06:35 PM

Same as people from working taking home extra product.   We do both, donate and let employees take stuff.   However, it has to be through the entire line.   For example, I saw employee bagging up some stuff to take home from the leftovers of a run, and had to tell him no, you can't do that, it hasn't been metal detected, date coded, lot tagged, etc and so on and so forth and etc...   Gotta take a bag off the END of the line.   So nothing shady like that.

But if it's something we're comfortable selling, we have no worries giving it away. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 647 posts
  • 183 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 November 2022 - 07:18 PM

We donate useable product, tracking whom we donated to for traceability purposes.

Gelato Quality Lead

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 November 2022 - 09:08 PM

We donate useable product, tracking whom we donated to for traceability purposes.

We rarely donate, but we do this with employees that are taking finished products home. We have a form that they fill out with their name, the item they are taking home, the lot number, and the amount. This is included in our traceability program.

Marloes

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 288 posts
  • 76 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 30 November 2022 - 08:17 AM

As said before, you should treat it like any other product that you would put on the market. You also don't want to put lower quality products on the market with the brand labels. Consumers can confuse your off-batch for the real thing, and it can hurt brand image.

If you are planning on including brands not owned by yourself (private label) that you should adhere to the brand owners' guidelines. Some private label owners allow putting left over stock on the market, others don't.

I remember a case where supermarket private label goods were donated to a food bank. The supermarket would allow returns with- and without receipt.
What would you rather have? Some food that you did not pick out yourself or the cash equivalent. 
You can imagine that the returns for this product skyrocketed. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users