Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 December 2022 - 12:51 AM

I was recently introduced to Oxine sanitizer (purified sodium chlorite) and my company is looking into introducing this chemical in our cleaning process.  I am told it has been out for about 10 years with great success in beverage facilities/breweries etc, and yet, I have never heard of it.

Is anyone using it in beverages (or otherwise) and would you recommend using it in an enclosed filler/seamer area throughout production?

It seems if it is so great and the end-all-be-all I'm being told it is, then I would have come across it before at previous facilities.

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 326 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 08 December 2022 - 12:47 PM

Greetings cvenable,

Oxine is an approved chemical (eg "OXINE is a very strong disinfectant based on chlorine dioxide and is approved by the Greek National Organization For Medicines (No. 10291 / 31.12.2019) and the U.S E.P.A. (US Department of the Environment, Reg. No: 9804-01").

It was primarily introduced for cleaning air-conditioning and ventilation systems, due to its ability to destory even biofilms (eg Legionella) and the fact that it quickly degrades to harmless compounds, but it is recommended for use also in food industry even in CIP systems.

Most CIP systems utilize a 2-phase cleaning process (base and acid) and there are quite a few combo chemicals that go hand-in-hand, so I can't really tell you how it works with other chemicals. A quick google search will get you many results about the product and you can also ask your provider if it can be paired with another chemical or if it is recommended for single phase CIP.

Regards!

• RyH likes this

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users