• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 December 2022 - 06:31 PM

Hello,

My bakery recently received our SQF certification for the first time. We manufacture RTE cookies and pies and are a low-risk facility. I'm currently doing our internal audit, and I found that, while we have an environmental monitoring program and list of sites we cycle through, we don't have a risk assessment for the EM program. Does anyone have a good EM risk assessment tool they can share, that's appropriate for a bakery?

Thanks!

-Jenna

Thanked by 1 Member:

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 825 posts
  • 284 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 December 2022 - 08:17 PM

I have attached a portion of an example.  let me know if doesn't make sense and I'll try to further explain.   

Attached Files

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

jennah20

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 December 2022 - 09:06 PM

This is very helpful - thank you so much!

Jenna

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 09 December 2022 - 05:17 AM

Hi Jenna,

In addition to kingstudruler1’s post and plan, please note that you can also swab for indicator organisms as part of your environmental monitoring programme. See the attached, I think I’ve posted this on the forums elsewhere but no harm in adding it here:

Attached File  PRP 11.5A Environmental Monitoring Planning.pdf   1MB   313 downloads

Kind regards,

Tony

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 December 2022 - 06:04 AM

I have attached a portion of an example.  let me know if doesn't make sense and I'll try to further explain.   

Hi ksr,

Thks yr interesting attachment.

I note the sampling is 3 hours into processing and including FCS.

IMO this is simply illogical from an EMPG POV unless you can verify any "positives" unrelated to product but  I am curious as to whether any official support was used, eg an FDA suggestion ?.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 December 2022 - 06:26 AM

Hi Jenna,

In addition to kingstudruler1’s post and plan, please note that you can also swab for indicator organisms as part of your environmental monitoring programme. See the attached, I think I’ve posted this on the forums elsewhere but no harm in adding it here:

attachicon.gif PRP 11.5A Environmental Monitoring Planning.pdf

Kind regards,

Tony

Hi Tony,

Does yr interpretation of "Environment" exclude Processing items such as FCS/ SS Table Tops, Al Trays, SS Conveyors  ?

IMEX, If quoted target TVC unit is per surface cm2 (post cleaning/sanitising?), areas such as above would never comply, regardless of the Risk Level. :crying:  (I daresay it relates to time of rubbing/determination)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 12 December 2022 - 05:31 AM

Hi Tony,

Does yr interpretation of "Environment" exclude Processing items such as FCS/ SS Table Tops, Al Trays, SS Conveyors  ?

IMEX, If quoted target TVC unit is per surface cm2 (post cleaning/sanitising?), areas such as above would never comply, regardless of the Risk Level. :crying:  (I daresay it relates to time of rubbing/determination)

Hi Charles,

Quoted standards are for clean equipment/surfaces that have been cleaned and disinfected. Some surfaces may not achieve such low levels.

The pdf is an illustration of prioritising and scheduling of environmental monitoring, all areas should be covered on a rotating basis including conveyors/tables.

Kind regards,

Tony

Joshua Kip

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Uganda
    Uganda

Posted 13 December 2022 - 09:47 AM

Hello everyone, i need help in regards to environmental monitoring just like Jenna. We are a food contact packaging manufacturing company, and we recently had a GMP audit with the following major NC; at the time of audit, much as the air used for cooling of coated tin plan was extracted from the environment, there was no established requirements for air quality monitoring yet in direct contact with food packaging. Can someone share with me environmental monitoring program which includes air quality monitoring requirements?

thanks.

Joshua Kip

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 366 posts
  • 87 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 13 December 2022 - 12:49 PM

Air plates are an option you could try.  I'd also reach out to some companies that do compressed air testing.  Even though the air is being pulled in from the environment, it is still being pushed through to cool the tin pan, so I would think that maybe there is a way to pull a sample there and have it tested?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 December 2022 - 01:09 PM

Hello everyone, i need help in regards to environmental monitoring just like Jenna. We are a food contact packaging manufacturing company, and we recently had a GMP audit with the following major NC; at the time of audit, much as the air used for cooling of coated tin plan was extracted from the environment, there was no established requirements for air quality monitoring yet in direct contact with food packaging. Can someone share with me environmental monitoring program which includes air quality monitoring requirements?

thanks.

Joshua Kip

Hi Joshua,

Packaging not my area but I am curious as to the function of the "tin pan[?]" ?

Was the audit for any particular Standard, eg HACCP, SQF etc ? Type of Packaging Material ?

(The requirements/approach/previous Forum threads can vary considerably between Standards although direct contact material is typically regarded as "High" Risk).

PS - This Post/thread may be overkill as to yr current requirements but presents some basic ideas as to evaluation of air/compressed air quality -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ent/#entry81054

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Joshua Kip

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Uganda
    Uganda

Posted 14 December 2022 - 06:17 AM

Hi Charles, thank you for your feedback. Am sorry for that error, i meant tin plate, not tin pan! And the audited Standard was ISO TS 22002-4: 2013, Packaging manufacturing. We make crown caps for packaging of beverages. I need a procedure for environmental monitoring. Thanks again.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users