• Quick Navigation
Photo

Waste water results as per NEQS (COD and BOD)

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Ashfaq Hussain

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 60 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:Food safety and Quality.
    HACCP/ PRP & oPRP.
    Pest management and chemical handling.
    Operation and supply chain.

Posted 08 February 2023 - 09:07 AM

Hello all,

I would like to share that we are facing some issues in waste water in the  term of the third-party test. Let me explain the process background, we are producing bread and vegetable processes.

In the last 6 months found wastewater parameters out of specification like COD and BOD.

For internally correction action has been taken as below.

1- Clean the all pits and remove the mud from the bottom of pits 

2- check all chemicals; used  dosages as per std (chemical just hand wash, detergent for utensils washing and vegetable washing phosphoric acid and chlorine used in 10-15 ppm in water)

3- clean the all drain pipelines with fresh water from the pits.

After that, we still found results that were out of specification. as attached please advise.

COD Std 150 result 958 ppm

BOD Std  80 result 512 ppm

Looking for your kind support.

Ashfaq Hussain

Attached Files

• Attached File  www.jpeg   68.56KB   0 downloads

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 08 February 2023 - 10:39 AM

Greetings Ashfaq,

I have two questions (maybe too elementary ones, but...).

1) Is the external lab accredited for these methods (talking specifically about the methods, not in general)? As I am working in an accredited lab, I have often found differences in results between accredited and non-accredited because of all the extra control measures you have in order to be audited against them.

2) Have you taken into account the 1:10 dilution ratio, because in my interpretation the acceptable limit refers to being measured after the discharge.(?) Meaning, if the values you gave are in the treated effluent, then when discharged in the water body you have 958/10 = 95,8ppm and 512/10 = 51,2 ppm which are well within the set limits.

1. Summing minimum dilution 1:10 on discharge, ...................................................... By 1:10 dilution means for example, that for each one cubic meter of treated effluent the recipient water body should have 10 cubic meter of water for dilution of this effluent.

Could be wrong, so correct me accordingly if so!

Regards!

Edited by Evans X., 08 February 2023 - 10:40 AM.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,508 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 February 2023 - 02:48 PM

Most facilities such as your as some fairly robust wastewater treatment plants onsite and then the effluent is discharged

Since you have 2 products that are

A) inherently raw agricultural products 

B) really good at creating a high BOD/COD 

I would suggest that you (if you don't already) build a weeping bed system at minimum to remove as much biologicals through the weep, then treat and discharge (such as below for example)

www.ecologixsystems.com

www..springer.com

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users