• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Ukraine
    Ukraine

Posted 08 February 2023 - 01:38 PM

Hi colleagues!
I am working on updating our company Cold Chain standards.
We are ice cream manufacturing. 
In previously version of our standard was described that all vehicles before loading need to be  previously chilled  to a  temperature   –18 °C. 
But in practice, the most our warehouses don't have loading/unloading areas with a temperature of -18C and below.   
Usually, loading/unloading areas have a temperature  4+/-2С. 
So, when  vehicle  chilled to a  temperature  –18 °C  stands up for loading, temperature inside the truck rises to   4+/-2С. 
I know, that the main goal previously chilled of truck remove heat from truck walls.  
My opinion, that  not necessary to chill to a temperature   –18 °C before loading if area loading does'nt have  a same temperature. 
I think,  temperature  from -5C  to - 10C will be enough for remove heat from truck walls. 
And this change reduce downtime and fuel costs) 
What  is your opinion about this case? thanks)

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 February 2023 - 01:54 PM

I stand with Ukraine 

I think you should leave your pre-chill temp as is  and verify by checking the refer and NOT the truck temperature.  If you state a minimum of -5C, that's where they will ALWAYS set the refer----that leaves you zero buffer should say, the refer run out of fuel because the truck got stuck in traffic etc

You can add some language to your procedure that explains the ambient temp at your dock and why the trailer temp is higher

Are you able to get data logger info from the trucks to back up your trailer temps while en route to destinations?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 February 2023 - 03:31 PM

IIRC the Container Supply Company are required to have a co-signed document stating that -18degC was attainable before loading (as also shown on temp.chart) for Insurance purposes (proves system working OK before leaving).

Definitely relevant in a tropical environment. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Valentyns

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Ukraine
    Ukraine

Posted 08 February 2023 - 04:42 PM

I stand with Ukraine 

I think you should leave your pre-chill temp as is  and verify by checking the refer and NOT the truck temperature.  If you state a minimum of -5C, that's where they will ALWAYS set the refer----that leaves you zero buffer should say, the refer run out of fuel because the truck got stuck in traffic etc

You can add some language to your procedure that explains the ambient temp at your dock and why the trailer temp is higher

Are you able to get data logger info from the trucks to back up your trailer temps while en route to destinations?

Thank you very much!!!

Yes, we have online system control  temperature in all own vehicles.
And in all contracts with transport companies we described requirement about  temperature during transportation - not higher than -18C. 

Valentyns

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Ukraine
    Ukraine

Posted 08 February 2023 - 04:49 PM

IIRC the Container Supply Company are required to have a co-signed document stating that -18degC was attainable before loading (as also shown on temp.chart) for Insurance purposes (proves system working OK before leaving).

Definitely relevant in a tropical environment. :smile:

Yes, this requirement included in our Cold Chain standard. 

After loading each vehicle has to reach a temperature minimum -18C before moving.

twistedchout

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Sweden
    Sweden

Posted 13 February 2023 - 08:27 AM

Hi, major reason for pre cooling cargo space is to evaporate humidity. When loaded you will reach set point much faster.//MA

Valentyns

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Ukraine
    Ukraine

Posted 13 February 2023 - 10:22 AM

Hi, major reason for pre cooling cargo space is to evaporate humidity. When loaded you will reach set point much faster.//MA

Yes, I got it. I am for the  pre cooling, but for the smart pre cooling. 
I don't see the point to pre cool  vehicle to the temperature -18C,   if then  to be loading at a temperature  +7C.  I think enough pre cool to the -5C  or -10C.  Because at this temperature the walls of the vehicles will have already been cooled and humidity removed.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users