Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 February 2023 - 06:02 PM

We are currently evaluating how often we will need to send out our N2 from our N2 generator for purity testing. Right now I'm suggesting either quarterly or bi-annually, though Management is asking if we could test annually.

We calibrate our N2 Generator Weekly and have annual Preventative Maintenance performed on the generator by the Manufacturer. This gas is used as a processing aid and does make direct contact with our product (liquid consumable). I can't seem to find any data showing harmful biproducts of N2 generation. Thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 February 2023 - 04:48 PM

We are currently evaluating how often we will need to send out our N2 from our N2 generator for purity testing. Right now I'm suggesting either quarterly or bi-annually, though Management is asking if we could test annually.

We calibrate our N2 Generator Weekly and have annual Preventative Maintenance performed on the generator by the Manufacturer. This gas is used as a processing aid and does make direct contact with our product (liquid consumable). I can't seem to find any data showing harmful biproducts of N2 generation. Thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hi NCN,

At the least you might (conservatively) procure a defined food grade product, Afaik the latter exists and would perhaps help resolve yr quandary.

Does the "purity" come with a COA ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 15 February 2023 - 05:06 PM

How is the N2 produced and expelled from the generator?

Is there a chance of grease from rivets, couplings and other machinery leaking into the system?

If you want to scale back to testing once a year, you need to have historical data that proves your generator provided clean nitrogen for a prolonged period of time and limit the risk of accidental contamination causing problems because you no longer have a more regular test in place to keep an eye on it.

How much historical analytical data do you have?

Also, I would scale up the preventive maintenance in this situation to play it safe.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 February 2023 - 05:17 PM

Just for comparison, I wonder how often people who gas flush their finished product with specified food-grade N2 (from approved supplier) have it checked for purity, I can predict the maximum annual frequency.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 15 February 2023 - 05:19 PM

Just for comparison, I wonder how often people who gas flush their finished product with food-grade N2 have it checked for purity, I can predict the maximum frequency.

Would that max. frequency be "one" by any chance?

Thanked by 1 Member:

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 527 posts
  • 101 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 March 2023 - 08:30 PM

Just for comparison, I wonder how often people who gas flush their finished product with specified food-grade N2 (from approved supplier) have it checked for purity, I can predict the maximum annual frequency.

Zero.  With filters serviced regularly, a gas chromatograph analysis or something similarly elaborate seems unnecessary.  The potential alternative if the nitrogen generator failed is ... the same air that was being flushed out of the package.  It would be detected immediately with high O2 levels if headspace analysis sampling of the packages are being done.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users