Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 February 2023 - 10:25 AM

One of our customers makes herbal teas and are looking to expand into a new country. Rather than producing entirely new artwork for this they have asked about the possibility of overlabelling the area with the ingredients and other information with a sticker that contains the information appropriate for the new country, in the local language. I have two questions from this:

1. Are we allowed to do this?

2. If we can, are there any specific requirements for the labels? By this I mean the physical labels themselves rather than the information contained on them- how sticky they are etc?

I'm not sure of the country they will be going to but can find this out if necessary.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 February 2023 - 02:17 PM

This will depend on the importing countries requirements

Here in Canada from time to time I do see a label in english/french that is located over the original label in a different language (generally speaking these items are coming from Asian countries)

The label will need to be incredibly sticky---i.e. cannot be removed 

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 February 2023 - 06:20 AM

One of our customers makes herbal teas and are looking to expand into a new country. Rather than producing entirely new artwork for this they have asked about the possibility of overlabelling the area with the ingredients and other information with a sticker that contains the information appropriate for the new country, in the local language. I have two questions from this:

1. Are we allowed to do this?

2. If we can, are there any specific requirements for the labels? By this I mean the physical labels themselves rather than the information contained on them- how sticky they are etc?

I'm not sure of the country they will be going to but can find this out if necessary.

Hi Skyhaze,

IMEX of importing retail products into Europe, yr No.1 is an easy rejection at custom control in many Locations. You can maybe "Make their Day"

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Skyhaze

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2023 - 09:55 AM

Thanks very much for your replies.

I've asked the question regarding the country we will be producing these for and it turns out to be Canada. We already produce a version of the packaging that has English/French so it looks like we will be changing the nutritional declaration and other information to make it compliant with Canadian requirements. 

I'm assuming the customer has done their research (they are a big company so I'd be very surprised if they haven't) and it seems that it probably will be ok if Scampi has previously seen something similar. We just need to make sure the labels are sticky enough.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 February 2023 - 01:06 PM

This link may be helpful to you

https://inspection.c...6/1526656151476

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

SerenityNow!

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 7 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 February 2023 - 05:26 PM

Through my former labeling years, we have done cover up labels for a couple larger retailers.  In our case, it was the same product with changes to the NFP and ingredient deck per regulations in the country to which it was being exported to.  The PDP was always legal, the statement of identity always accurate and factual.  We never experienced any issues with customs as all documents are in line.  The countries we have done this for is from the USA to AUS and CAN.

Make sure your nutrition decks are bilingual and nutrition values are calculated to their specific requirements.  Nutrition panels always changed for us as CAN has different DV's on some nutrients compared to the USA.  Find out their RACC  (Reference Amount Customarily Consumed) and make sure the servings sizes meet their requirements. In our case, some of our products had to change in serving size, some didn't.  It depends on your product and the RACC and how it applies to you product size/weight. You're dealing with tea, so you may not have sugars in your product.  If you do there are specific guidelines as to how sugar is listed in your ingredient deck.  CAN also has regulation in regards to letter case so make sure that's updated as well.

Here is a link for detailed info for CAN regulation:

https://inspection.c...8716311275#s4c2

Hope this was helpful, good luck!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users