• 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malta
    Malta

Posted 13 March 2023 - 10:47 AM

Hi All,

Would appreciate your comments and thoughts on the following scenario:

We are introducing a one way valve application for our plastic tubs ( latter is closed with aluminium foil and the application valve is applied), where the same will work as to ensure no inflation of tub finished goods while at transport and during storage.

The dilemma and food safety concern is that for that specific line no end of line inspection is present and the design of such valve incudes needle puncture / valve application before final lid closure and packing.

What will be your risk based and recommendation on such situation , considering and ensuring food safety of course.

For sure, the risk assessment, should outline the risk, and do you believe  a frequent check  ( ex: every 15 /30min) on the needles and intact ,would be enough?

Many Thanks

Aneta

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 13 March 2023 - 01:02 PM

Greetings Aneta,

If I understand your process correctly then the ultimate risk would be broken needles in your product. The best solution would be a metal detector.

Needles (depending on size, but still...) can break easily. A frequent check on them is a half-measure, because the needle could have broken 2 or 3 times after the first time, so how would you know if there is a problem to one product or more? And how many will you discard?

I beilieve a frequent check should be accompanied with a metal detector and this step will propably be a CCP in your risk assessment.

Regards!

Aneta Camilleri Kostova

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malta
    Malta

Posted 13 March 2023 - 01:25 PM

Greetings Aneta,

If I understand your process correctly then the ultimate risk would be broken needles in your product. The best solution would be a metal detector.

Needles (depending on size, but still...) can break easily. A frequent check on them is a half-measure, because the needle could have broken 2 or 3 times after the first time, so how would you know if there is a problem to one product or more? And how many will you discard?

I beilieve a frequent check should be accompanied with a metal detector and this step will propably be a CCP in your risk assessment.

Regards!

hello there !

The metal detector is not been considered as yet, since the project and planned cases value does not justify the required investment. 

This is the big concern here from my end , having no end of line inspection and basing the risk on visual check ( on defined frequency), and blocking affected stock ( discard) in case of any incidents... 

I need to create a risk assessment , considering  all aspects and calculating the potential risks.

Thanks

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 13 March 2023 - 02:10 PM

Hello,

The risk is missing a broken needle and a client finds it the "bad way"!!!

Theoretically visual inspection can work, but as you can't know when exactly the needle broke (and taking the scenario of checking it every 15 min), then you will have to discard all the products in the last 15 minute interval as well as at least a couple of them before the closing in case they got affected by shards.

Would this production loss maybe justify the metal detector investment? (I am not even suggesting the obvious yet which is food safety).

Aneta Camilleri Kostova

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malta
    Malta

Posted 14 March 2023 - 06:04 AM

Hello,

The risk is missing a broken needle and a client finds it the "bad way"!!!

Theoretically visual inspection can work, but as you can't know when exactly the needle broke (and taking the scenario of checking it every 15 min), then you will have to discard all the products in the last 15 minute interval as well as at least a couple of them before the closing in case they got affected by shards.

Would this production loss maybe justify the metal detector investment? (I am not even suggesting the obvious yet which is food safety).

exactly my concerns and headache. 

So far the investment will not be justified, due to small volumes and market.

I am in a crossroad at the moment, as we know the risk and at the same time, we need to see how to work around.

What will be your thoughts if a check is performed on the needles every ex.15min ? Keeping in mind that in case something is found missing such production and the some before and after is discarded? Would you consider?  

As you can see , it is quite complicated ( at least for now), as we need to build a good argumentation and risk assessment, as to ensure food safety .

Cheers

Aneta

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 14 March 2023 - 11:46 AM

Well you can apply the half-measure I mentioned above. But you have to be prepared (and take no arguments from superiors on that) in case of an incident to discard the whole production between the check interval (15 minutes worth of production if you go with this), as well as let's say 3-5 in front and 3-5 from the back of said production.

The production will need to stop for replacement of course but you will also need to make an extremely thorough cleaning and inspection in case of shards lodged in parts of the equipment.

To explain a bit more the 3-5 products before and after, I take as an example the EBI (Empty Bottle Inspection) system used in breweries. If the system detects even a fracture in a glass bottle, it also discards some bottles from the front and the back of the line, in case glass shards fell into them. This way you lose about 7 empty bottles. With a metal detector it could be just one product, but this way for now it will be way more.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Aneta Camilleri Kostova

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malta
    Malta

Posted 14 March 2023 - 11:53 AM

Well you can apply the half-measure I mentioned above. But you have to be prepared (and take no arguments from superiors on that) in case of an incident to discard the whole production between the check interval (15 minutes worth of production if you go with this), as well as let's say 3-5 in front and 3-5 from the back of said production.

The production will need to stop for replacement of course but you will also need to make an extremely thorough cleaning and inspection in case of shards lodged in parts of the equipment.

To explain a bit more the 3-5 products before and after, I take as an example the EBI (Empty Bottle Inspection) system used in breweries. If the system detects even a fracture in a glass bottle, it also discards some bottles from the front and the back of the line, in case glass shards fell into them. This way you lose about 7 empty bottles. With a metal detector it could be just one product, but this way for now it will be way more.

yes, completely agreed on that... thanks 

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 14 March 2023 - 01:52 PM

Hi Aneta, 

How do you plan to do a check on the needles every 15 minutes?

It sounds like this would take an excessive amount of manpower to achieve.

Those checks need to be documented and if the person in question skips a check,

you suddenly have to discard a 30 min. interval of products instead if something happens to be found at the next check.

Aneta Camilleri Kostova

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malta
    Malta

Posted 15 March 2023 - 06:16 AM

Hi Aneta, 

How do you plan to do a check on the needles every 15 minutes?

It sounds like this would take an excessive amount of manpower to achieve.

Those checks need to be documented and if the person in question skips a check,

you suddenly have to discard a 30 min. interval of products instead if something happens to be found at the next check.

Hi there,

exactly, to have such a check the manpower force and the risk if high, that is why i am preparing and seeing all the possible scenarios of how, what and cost.

I am all against, such a visual check, extra personnel and risk of food safety, hence the preparation of the risk assessment document and analysis.

Any other comment and suggestions are highly appreciated :) 

Cheers

Aneta 

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 15 March 2023 - 07:11 AM

Perhaps it's unnecessary to mention, but if your management forces you to go the visual check route, make sure you implement a checklist.

(If possible, make it digital, so they can't sign the slots for the next hour ahead of time.)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users