• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:42 PM

Hi there, 

I am the operations manager for a new company in the US that will be producing plastic bottles for food packaging.  We are currently setting up our site and I have a question on design.

We are having a bathroom built and it will be inside of the break room inside the warehouse so that it does not open up into production area (I know this is a requirement). 

Inside the break room we will have an additional handwashing sink (aside from the bathroom).  There will be a door between that handwashing sink and the production area.  From what I understood though thats ok as long as I have a sanitizing station on the production side for once you pass through the door.

Or, am I wrong and there has to be a sink in the actual production area?

Thank you in advance for any help as I am totally new to this world.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,674 posts
  • 1142 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 28 March 2023 - 12:51 AM

If I wash my hands at the HW sink, do I then haveto uae my ckeaned hands to open the dooe in order to enter production?

Two, is there any reson you can not locate the sink directly outside the lunchroom as you step into production.

Also, is thatvthe only ingress point to production?

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

cassie.smoke

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 March 2023 - 04:22 PM

Yes you would have to go through the door to get to production.  We can do that, but we have to put in the plumbing still and that would make for a more complicated install which is why i'm seeing if the other option would suffice.  And no, there is a front door entry as well as an emergency door in the back.

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:15 PM

Are you going for certain certification?

At a plant I worked at in packaging, our hand wash sinks were in the break room and there was a door after that to get to production.  We were SQF certified and as long as we showed there was a flow that forced staff to go past the sink before going on to the floor, we were fine.  However, I should note this was a facility that was already established and built, thus installing a hand wash sink would have been costly.  Since this is planning stages for a new building, I would want a hand wash sink right outside the breakroom as you walk out on to production.

Also remember, most schemes do not accept the use of hand sanitizer in place of actual hand washing.

cassie.smoke

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:19 PM

Are you going for certain certification?

At a plant I worked at in packaging, our hand wash sinks were in the break room and there was a door after that to get to production.  We were SQF certified and as long as we showed there was a flow that forced staff to go past the sink before going on to the floor, we were fine.  However, I should note this was a facility that was already established and built, thus installing a hand wash sink would have been costly.  Since this is planning stages for a new building, I would want a hand wash sink right outside the breakroom as you walk out on to production.

Also remember, most schemes do not accept the use of hand sanitizer in place of actual hand washing.

We are going to be audited for cGMP for food packaging.  This is an already established site we are just taking over an existing suite and adding a bathroom and breakroom. My audit company just got back to me and it sounds like as long as there is one in the bathroom and the breakroom that is acceptable.  He said one in production is recommended but not required.

I appreciate your help! 

Thanked by 1 Member:

mehurst1361

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:27 PM

It all depends on your Risk. I have been to bottling facilities that done one or the other. If there is a door between you can have a kick plate or some way to open the door without using your hands including a foot hook. This is a cheap option to allow for sanitation. Most facilities have it all in the same room but some of the really big facilities have an in-between room for handwashing. Where is PPE applied? Are Hair nets and beard snoods applied inside or outside? They should be applied before washing hands otherwise you may void the point of having washed hands.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,674 posts
  • 1142 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:44 PM

Assuming your other entrances have HW sinks rigjt before production ( you would not place an hw sink at the emergency door as it is consided an egress and not ingress) I would go ahead with the sink and accessories insidecthe lunchroom right at the door but you'll need an automatic door there (as noted above.)

The best solution is a properly placed hw sink directlty outside the lunch room even thoufh you'll need $$ for installation.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users