Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 April 2023 - 11:51 AM

Hello! I started working with a distribution warehouse of varies products Frozen and shelf stable vegetables, cookies, yogurts, canned foods, drinks and frozen meats. We also packages various types of grains and dried fruits so we receive alot of material in bulk. We have enforced COA requirements for all incoming goods raw and finished goods. Our meats and poultry supplier who produce our branded product (hot dogs, chicken nuggets, gyros etc)for us state they don't issue COAs. I have never worked with Meat/poultry I assume their should something similar they can provide us with each PO or lot stating the product was within limits and acceptable. One of our supplier agreed on a COC per lot but others state they never provide COAs. Can someone please advise what is industry standard for USDA Meat and Poultry plants?  

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 06 April 2023 - 02:17 PM

Greetings Jimenez,

The CoA or CoC are just some of the ways to provide the specifications of the products and the assertation that it abides to legislation. For foodstuff the usually used term can be something like "Product Technical Specifications" were certain characteristics of the product are described, as well as the microbial/chemical limits per legislation that they must abide for them to be safe, intended use, allergen presence, GMO etc. Have in mind that many companies that have standarized manufacturing processes don't issue CoA/CoC/TS etc every time they have a new production lot. It will not be strange to find some dated a few years back. They change it when there are process/procedure changes that can affect the product.

Instead they validate their processes periodically and in my opinion it would be more useful asking for the recent analyses they had on their products. These do actually show that the specifications they mention in the datasheets are actually met. Also, have in mind that some companies may also not perform analyses on every lot, according to their risk analysis and how high or low risk is their product in food safety terms.

Regards!

Edited by Evans X., 06 April 2023 - 02:18 PM.

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 06 April 2023 - 02:27 PM

In my experience, companies that refuse to send COAs just put out COCs without validating the process at all.

I would insist on at least periodic analysis. (Especially since the risk of salmonella is potentially so serious.)

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 06 April 2023 - 04:47 PM

Not standard to provide COAs for USDA. Not a requirement by the USDA like the FDA. Multiple different ways to control hazards.

For those items you mentioned - most likely, the supplier has a cooking/cooling temperatures and then holding temperatures as their method for controlling hazards. They will take product sampling but not on every batch/item. Also will have an environmental monitoring program too.

Most likely, if you want a CoA from them - it'll cost you more money.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 April 2023 - 05:42 PM

10+ years in raw poultry----never once issued a CoA

Quite frankly, there is too much risk once said raw meat (poultry in particular) leaves the processing facility to the point where a CoA would be a moo point (tribute to joey tribiani) 

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users