• Quick Navigation
Photo

Time and Temperature Limits in a Grocery Store with Hot Foods

Share this

Best Answer , 12 April 2023 - 06:00 PM

For regulations on a steam table - look at the code where it refers to salad bars or hot holding devices. I taught the state food code for three years to restaurants and food service.Hot holding devices can mean a lot of things but it is implied to mean buffets, buffets with steam tables, heat lamps, etc. You are fine to hold an item for as long as you want above 135. You will lose quality after awhile.

To then sell it to the customer - look at the regulation for reheating items. I believe you'll need cooking instructions for cooking the item to 165.

I haven't taught the code in 4 or so years so I'm only 90% positive on re-heating. States also differ a little by regulations.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 130 posts
  • 44 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 11 April 2023 - 03:04 PM

Hello all. I found out about a new project, and IFSQN was my first stop. Any comment is appreciated, especially a section of the United States CFR that gives requirements.

Here are the basics:

Hot food counter in a grocery store in Pennsylvania, United States.

Food is made by chefs, placed in a metal pan, and held above 140°F in a steam table.

Chefs serve the food to customers. (All behind a display counter)

How long can it be stored above 140°F before it must be discarded?

Can it be cooled below 40°F and sold in a cooler?

My current understanding is that cooked food must be cooled to 40°F or below within 4 hours. Not sure if anything changes when held in a steam table for part of that time.

Thank you in advance, IFSQN. I'll see what I can find

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 11 April 2023 - 07:42 PM

Yes, you can go from the steam table and place the pan on top of an iced pan to drop the temp beforw placing in the cooler.

Never direct from steam table to cooler as the food will spoil fast plus comprimize the efficiency of the cooler unit.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 11 April 2023 - 07:42 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 130 posts
  • 44 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 April 2023 - 09:47 PM

Thank you for the response.

Yes, you can go from the steam table and place the pan on top of an iced pan to drop the temp beforw placing in the cooler.

Never direct from steam table to cooler as the food will spoil fast plus comprimize the efficiency of the cooler unit.

Is there any place I can find time guidelines? I just finished reading the "City of Philadelphia Regulations Governing Food Establishments"

The way I understand it, food can be cooked, held above 140°F, cooled at the end of the day, and sold to customers the following day.

(Assuming the quality isnt compromised from being held at that temperature)

I was really hoping to find a regulation that gives a clear time limit on the steam table. The Code of Federal Regulations wasn't much help here either.

Unless someone is a real expert on CFR and I missed it somewhere...  :uhm:

seanpaulrader

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 April 2023 - 10:34 PM

The FDA Food Code has some clear guidelines. It does not exactly reference what you are planning to do, but there are clear sections on cooking, cooling, re-heating, etc. If you string together those requirements, that will give you a game plan.

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 12 April 2023 - 11:48 AM

Thank you for the response.

Is there any place I can find time guidelines? I just finished reading the "City of Philadelphia Regulations Governing Food Establishments"

The way I understand it, food can be cooked, held above 140°F, cooled at the end of the day, and sold to customers the following day.

(Assuming the quality isnt compromised from being held at that temperature)

I was really hoping to find a regulation that gives a clear time limit on the steam table. The Code of Federal Regulations wasn't much help here either.

Unless someone is a real expert on CFR and I missed it somewhere...  :uhm:

You can find the Pennsylvania food code here: https://www.fda.gov/...gulations-state

Thanked by 1 Member:

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 130 posts
  • 44 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 April 2023 - 03:33 PM

The FDA Food Code has some clear guidelines. It does not exactly reference what you are planning to do, but there are clear sections on cooking, cooling, re-heating, etc. If you string together those requirements, that will give you a game plan.

They give plenty of temperature requirements, but no time limit for hot holding.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a time requirement.

I will just maintain the temperature above 135°F for as long as quality allows and follow proper cooling to 40°F in 4 hours.

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 12 April 2023 - 06:00 PM   Best Answer

For regulations on a steam table - look at the code where it refers to salad bars or hot holding devices. I taught the state food code for three years to restaurants and food service.Hot holding devices can mean a lot of things but it is implied to mean buffets, buffets with steam tables, heat lamps, etc. You are fine to hold an item for as long as you want above 135. You will lose quality after awhile.

To then sell it to the customer - look at the regulation for reheating items. I believe you'll need cooking instructions for cooking the item to 165.

I haven't taught the code in 4 or so years so I'm only 90% positive on re-heating. States also differ a little by regulations.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users