Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 17 April 2023 - 03:18 AM

What is the difference between work instruction and standard operating procedure? When do they apply? Trying not to blur the lines between them so I am seeking clarification.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 April 2023 - 05:03 AM

What is the difference between work instruction and standard operating procedure? When do they apply? Trying not to blur the lines between them so I am seeking clarification.

Hi rj

The basic hierarchical terms Policy > Procedure > Work Function were long ago originated (afaik) by ISO, notably for the ISO9000 series. These  are defined/detailed within the ISO System which I suggest you consult although several threads on this Forum do go into considerable detail on their, sometimes subtle/subjective, distinctions.

The ISO answer to yr query is detailed here -

https://scribehow.co...rk-instructions

PS - Frankly, IMO, for many situations the 2 terminologies become interpreted as effectively equal. (SOP also has its own derivatives, eg SSOP).

Edited by Charles.C, 17 April 2023 - 05:49 AM.
added

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Philips

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:Reading, sharing with other professionals,driving and a humble drinker

Posted 17 April 2023 - 02:26 PM

Well, I agree with the provided descriptions of SOPs and WI, But I have a simpler definition. Most of the Management System that are established are four (4) tier system. This is to say they have four documents hierarchy;

1. Manual - This is the top level document that contain the policies and form the description fo how the organization fulfill the requirements of the standard of reference, e,g, A food safety manual in accordance with ISO 22000: 2018 describe how an organization fulfills the requirements of teh seen clauses of implementation.

2. Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) - These are documents that describe processes. The word procedures comes from the word process, and / or the vice-versa. Its a descriptive document that provides detailed description of how the process is managed. e,g, If it a recruitment procedures, it describes how the process is managed from beginning to completion of the recruitment process. 

3. Work Instruction (WI) - This describes how to perform a task, Work Instruction are usually posted next to where the task is performed. 

4. Formats, Registers, Tools, Templates - This are the tools used for data collection.

I stand to be corrected.

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 639 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 April 2023 - 08:29 PM

Work Instructions often get labeled as "training documents" or something similar.  In my experiences with auditors, they dislike separate training documents and prefer to see employees trained directly from an SOP, with documentation of that SOP's control number on the training register, to prove the employee has full knowledge of the SOP for the job they're performing.  There's always a potential gap having work instructions separate from an SOP as well, as you might have to update the SOP but fail to include the new information in the WI or training documents (ask me how I know lol).

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 April 2023 - 04:21 AM

I abhor ISO's fascination with documentation (analogous to BRC's indiscriminatively added "risk-based").

As an extension of Post 4 -

For a Process Analytical Lab, IIRC, I have never issued a Nominal, Analytical "Work instruction" for anything..

My SOP has been  to  issue Procedures with Worked Examples then wait for Operatives  to ask questions typically like  How often do I do this measurement ? How do I judge this ? Where did this calculation come from ?

Then the Procedure has (almost invariably) been revised.

There are a lot of Procedures.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users