• Quick Navigation
Photo

SQF 11.8.1.8 - Waste container insect proofed?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

JeremyW(FoodSafetyFirst)

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2023 - 02:22 PM

Hello friends,

SQF 11.8.1.8 Waste held on-site prior to disposal shall be stored in a separate storage facility that is suitably insect proofed and located where it does not present any hazards.

We have one enclosed compactor (dumpster) that handles the majority of our waste. For certain liquid waste (sealed containers) and for times when the compactor is being brought to the landfill and returned we have an open top 30 yard dumpster.

Photo for reference https://cleanitup.co...ter-liner-1.png

The dumpster itself is not insect proofed but it is stored outside the facility. We have entertained the idea of having a closeable lid installed on the dumpster but it is extremely unwieldy and would have to be kept free of snow (I am in northern parts of US and this would be a nightmare.) Even that lid would not be insect-proofed as there would be small gaps between the lid and dumpster. The dumpster is removed and emptied twice per week and the surrounding area is kept free of debris. Am I meeting this clause in your opinion?

Thank you

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 20 April 2023 - 02:55 PM

I believer that you are.  I interpret that part of the code to mean more if you are storing waste inside prior to disposal or if you have a compactor that is in a dock area/connected to your building.  A dumpster outside away from your building would be ok, just make sure the lids are closed when not in use.

JeremyW(FoodSafetyFirst)

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2023 - 04:00 PM

Hi Scotty,

Thank you for your answer. I wanted to mention that the dumpster does not have a lid currently.

Thank you

Edited by JeremyW(FoodSafetyFirst), 20 April 2023 - 04:01 PM.

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2023 - 04:37 PM

I concur with Scotty about the outside dumpster not needing to be insect proof.

At one of my last jobs, we contract with Waste Management to provide us with either 30 or 40 yard dumpsters that had a sliding lid on top.  My SQF auditors always seemed to comment that the lid was expected to be there and closed when not in use to discourage people accessing our waste product or discarded labels, etc.  We had procedures in place to render waste product unconsumable and labels were destroyed before discarded, but it still always seemed to be a sticking point with my auditors.  Just food for thought, if you can get a dumpster with a lid, it'll give your auditors the warm and fuzzies.

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2023 - 06:36 PM

I've received a minor nonconformity for an outside dumpster not having a lid.  

I've also not received a minor nonconformity for an outside dumpster not having a lid.  

I agree that having a lid on a large container is a huge pain in about every case.   Would it make sense to have one or two of the smaller 4-6 CUFT dumpsters with the plastic flip shut lids?   Or you could go with what you have and make sure it is well maintained with no pest activity.  I wouldn't say you are 100% safe with this practice.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dumpster, Enclosed, insects, compactor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users