Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 April 2023 - 03:57 PM

We're a b2b manufacturer of sauces and seasonings to them to use for further processing into retail products.

I've just had a few requests from customers for second tier risk assessments of each component supplier in each recipe we supply.

We supply this customer with around 20 product each with at least 15 ingredients

Is anyone else seeing this kind of ott reaction to risk?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,522 posts
  • 1517 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 April 2023 - 08:17 PM

I don't actually think it's OTT--you should have allergen declarations on all your vendors as part of your supplier approval process

We are living in a world ruled by lawyers and insurance companies

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,686 posts
  • 1146 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 28 April 2023 - 09:57 PM

I agree with Scampi however before you jump into this go back to the ones that are asking for it and ask each one to define exactly what they want.

Don't be surprised if you get a coupke of different definitions.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 April 2023 - 02:26 AM

We're a b2b manufacturer of sauces and seasonings to them to use for further processing into retail products.

I've just had a few requests from customers for second tier risk assessments of each component supplier in each recipe we supply.

We supply this customer with around 20 product each with at least 15 ingredients

Is anyone else seeing this kind of ott reaction to risk?

Hi Lanser -

I suspect these are  UK-centric terminologies.

To clarify the context -

Q4. What are ‘secondary ingredients’ and ‘hidden contaminants’? Can you give me an example of each?

A4. The ingredients of a composite product when used as a main ingredient to create a
dish are known as secondary ingredients. The term secondary refers to a second tier of
ingredients that are not immediately apparent in a list of main ingredients. As these secondary
ingredients could potentially include allergens it is important that you check them.
A composite product is one made from multiple ingredients.

A hidden contaminant is identified by statements such as ‘may contain’ on pre-packaged products
used in your recipes and refers to something that is unintentionally in the product.

For example making a basic Chilli Con Carne:

Main Ingredients: Beef mince, tinned tomatoes, generic beef stock cubes (composite product),
red kidney beans, spices (paprika, cumin).

As the stock cube is a composite product we need to check its ingredients for allergens.
The ingredients of this product are secondary ingredients.

Generic beef stock cube ingredients: Salt, vegetable fats (palm, shea butter, sal
butter), potato starch, sugar, beef extract (4%), yeast extract, flavourings, onion powder,
caramel syrup, maltodextrin, parsley, carrots, spices (parsley roots, CELERY seeds).

This information must be transferred to your final product allergen declaration.

In addition to these ingredients the stock cube has the following information on the label:

May contain WHEAT, MILK

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users