• Quick Navigation
Photo

When to create a completely new program?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

NutANDFruitFoodSafety

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 May 2023 - 03:00 PM

Hi Everyone - 

Wanted to get opinions on when one might consider creating an entirely new program from scratch as opposed to continually adding / editing? For example, we have several programs that are at version 6, 7 , 8+. Do you see any benefit or would it only make sense if we were truly changing a very large amount of the program etc. Does the same go for forms, instructions, etc.?

Thank you.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,515 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 May 2023 - 03:21 PM

the answer is simple 

KISS

and 

If it ain't broke don't fix it

I have procedures at version 26--------so what?  the program is a living breathing thing and is not supposed to be written in stone

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 364 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 04 May 2023 - 03:58 PM

I would agree with Scampi, there is no arbitrary need to create a "fresh" document if the current one is in use and suiting your needs. It's makes no difference what version number you're on, what is more important is an effective record of what changes have been made to the procedure over time. This is usually a simple "History of Changes" section at the end of a document. New SOPs/Forms are typically justified by the introduction of a totally new process.

I tend to think that a document with an active history is a good thing, it shows the facility has a mind of continuous improvement. If all the documents are fresh with no version history, I'd think they're just for show and no one actually looks at them!

• G M likes this

NutANDFruitFoodSafety

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 May 2023 - 05:54 PM

Great - thank you both.

Appreciate the feedback.

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 639 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 May 2023 - 09:16 PM

I'll echo the above.  Only reason to create a totally new version is if the core premise of the program is being altered.  It's important to have a document numbering system that can track many, many revisions for this purpose.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 532 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 May 2023 - 04:18 PM

Hi Everyone - 

Wanted to get opinions on when one might consider creating an entirely new program from scratch as opposed to continually adding / editing? For example, we have several programs that are at version 6, 7 , 8+. Do you see any benefit or would it only make sense if we were truly changing a very large amount of the program etc. Does the same go for forms, instructions, etc.?

Thank you.

I've only had to conduct one major re-write on the scale you're talking about, and that was to bring a wide assortment of documents written by many people in many different typographical formats under one unified document numbering system using a standard document style. 

After that was done, most updates have been relatively minor -- with a few documents changing several times a year.  I just utilize a version numbering system common to electronic arts with multiple numbers separated by a full stop "12.3.456" with the latter segments indicating more minor changes.  After about 8 years the vast majority of document versions still start with a 1 or 2.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users