• Quick Navigation
Photo

Any testing method to test for baker yeast activity in the dough of frozen and unbaked

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

FoodSafety2022

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 May 2023 - 07:17 PM

Hi All,

We are producing frozen and ready-to-bake unfilled and filled croissants, strudels, etc. Sometimes customers complain that the products they purchase do not sufficiently proof and therefore products look smaller than usual after baked at their donut shops.

I am aware that the dough volume expansion depends on different factors such as, yeast activity, proofing time and temperature etc...      

Is there any quantitative method to test for baker yeast activity in the dough of frozen and unbaked products to make sure it is consistent 

Thank you in advance.

OC 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 May 2023 - 07:49 PM

I cannot answer that question definitively

There may be varying degrees of rise in your yeast (assuming you're weighing and not measuring it) 

Are your customers saying this is a consistent issue or a here and there issue?

Can they tell you that they are following the same process to the letter?  Are they using proofing drawers? are they consistently getting enough steam etc etc etc

This article may be helpful to your process

https://lallemandbak.../3_16FROZEN.pdf

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

FoodSafety2022

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 May 2023 - 08:13 PM

Hi Scampi,

Thanks for quick reply. The customers here and there complain and they may or may not use proofing drawers.

I am looking for the testing method to test baker yeast activity at my end to narrow down where the issue occurs.    

Thanks

OC

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 130 posts
  • 44 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 08 May 2023 - 09:31 PM

Are your customers given recommended instructions for proofing, baking, etc?

I am unaware of a quantitative test that will work, but you could try these qualitative tests without much cost.

Start by pulling a few pastries that have been prepared and packed as your customer will receive them.

Prepare them following the provided instructions precisely.

Take a picture of results and keep in your records. 

You might also consider retaining some frozen pastries to test in the future. This would show if your yeast is being killed by freezing.

If a customer complains you can find and prepare the pastry made in their batch.

The sampling frequency would be up to you. Maybe once a batch, once a week, or once per container of yeast?

If every pastry you bake is flawless, then the issue is probably not on your end. Plus, what matters most is the effectiveness of the product. You'll never have a customer complain of 200 (units?) of yeast vs 250 units of yeast. They will complain if it does not rise.

Either way, I would suggest asking customers for more details. Did they use a proofing oven? What temperature were they baked at? Is the customer using a metal sheet pan, silicone bake mat? etc

In my experience, I feel like these variables are more likely to blame than an inconsistency in your yeast. 

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 May 2023 - 10:17 PM

you mean like a gassing power test?

Risograph maybe - are they still around?   or maybe   https://www.bluesens...zers/yeastforce

Your yeast company should be able to help you out as well.  I'd use whatever they use.  

Edited by kingstudruler1, 08 May 2023 - 10:17 PM.

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

FoodSafety2022

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 May 2023 - 03:38 PM

you mean like a gassing power test?

Risograph maybe - are they still around?   or maybe   https://www.bluesens...zers/yeastforce

Your yeast company should be able to help you out as well.  I'd use whatever they use.  

Thanks for the useful information. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users