• Quick Navigation
Photo

Personal Fans in Production Line

Share this

Best Answer , 05 June 2023 - 01:06 PM

We have strategically placed fans in production to help cool things down.   No biggie if done right, and you already said they'll be on the cleaning schedule.  So I think you're good to go.

Safe!

safe-mr-deeds.gif

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

ETHAN BAUER

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 June 2023 - 02:18 PM

Can you implement personal fans on a production line, and if so should this be added to pre-op inspection to ensure cleanliness/sanitizing?

Please help! :)

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 02 June 2023 - 02:28 PM

How would you clean them? AFAIK, they're not designed for easy cleaning.

Thanked by 2 Members:

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 126 posts
  • 44 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 02 June 2023 - 02:33 PM

I would be worried about the physical hazard of broken parts, batteries, and covers falling in to the product.

Thanked by 2 Members:

ETHAN BAUER

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 June 2023 - 02:39 PM

I would be worried about the physical hazard of broken parts, batteries, and covers falling in to the product.

The fans would not be located in a place where they would "fall" into the product.

It would be on a candy production line, on the end of a wrap-machine.

We already utilize fans in our drying rooms, and have them on a cleaning schedule. (have had no issues with Audits)

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 126 posts
  • 44 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 02 June 2023 - 02:41 PM

The fans would not be located in a place where they would "fall" into the product.

It would be on a candy production line, on the end of a wrap-machine.

We already utilize fans in our drying rooms, and have them on a cleaning schedule. (have had no issues with Audits)

I interpreted personal fans as the handheld battery type. 

If you already have approved fans on a cleaning schedule, why not add another one in this room and put it on the cleaning schedule too?

Thanked by 1 Member:

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 02 June 2023 - 02:42 PM

Then, I guess, it would be OK. We're using fans too: in incubation room, where the products are already packed.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 02 June 2023 - 04:14 PM

You can use fans that are cleanable and set them up on a cleaning schedule and yes you should include inspection of these fans on a pre-op inspection.  One note that I always suggest, try not to have fans blow directly onto product or product zones.

Thanked by 1 Member:

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 634 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 June 2023 - 04:39 PM

Personal fans could be no-go depending on your GFSI scheme.  I'm heavy on SQF and know personal items are prohibited, I *think* other GFSI's are similar but can't say for sure.  Not to mention regulatory bodies could make them an issue, as in places like the USA:  FDA mandates personal items are to be stored away from food is exposed and utensils are washed under CFR Part 117 GMP's.

Others mentioned the issue with blowing air from your room around on exposed food, can lead to cross contamination issues (but sounds like it's not a factor for OP's process).

If it were my plant and employees were asking for fans, I'd say company should be providing fans so they can control the sanitation of them.

Thanked by 1 Member:

ETHAN BAUER

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 June 2023 - 05:44 PM

Personal fans could be no-go depending on your GFSI scheme.  I'm heavy on SQF and know personal items are prohibited, I *think* other GFSI's are similar but can't say for sure.  Not to mention regulatory bodies could make them an issue, as in places like the USA:  FDA mandates personal items are to be stored away from food is exposed and utensils are washed under CFR Part 117 GMP's.

Others mentioned the issue with blowing air from your room around on exposed food, can lead to cross contamination issues (but sounds like it's not a factor for OP's process).

If it were my plant and employees were asking for fans, I'd say company should be providing fans so they can control the sanitation of them.

Hello, and thank you for your information. I know I stated personal fans, but they are company bought fans. I guess the proper term I should've used is ''Station" sorry to confuse.

ETHAN BAUER

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 June 2023 - 05:45 PM

Can you implement personal fans on a production line, and if so should this be added to pre-op inspection to ensure cleanliness/sanitizing?

Please help! :)

These would be fans for each packaging station, not actually a personal employee fan.

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 527 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 June 2023 - 01:06 PM   Best Answer

We have strategically placed fans in production to help cool things down.   No biggie if done right, and you already said they'll be on the cleaning schedule.  So I think you're good to go.

Safe!

safe-mr-deeds.gif

Edited by MDaleDDF, 05 June 2023 - 01:07 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 527 posts
  • 101 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 June 2023 - 01:42 PM

...  I'm heavy on SQF and know personal items are prohibited,...

Should probably have been personnel, not personal.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FANS, FAN, PERSONAL FAN, FAN IN PRODUCTION, PRODUCTION FAN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users