• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is lipstick a GMP issue in the food industry?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

SauceManinKS

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2023 - 02:35 PM

Hey Team, 

I'm new to this industry and had a question. nail polish, fake nails, jewelry are all big no no's when it comes to GMP's. but what about make up and lipstick? what are the food industry standards when it comes to this???

Thanks everyone for all your support. 

KSsauceMan

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 62 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2023 - 03:15 PM

The thought process is that fake nails break and nail polish chips off and they can end up in food.  Same with false lashes or jewelry.  We disallow all of that.  I'm not familiar with any case of other makeup falling or flaking off.  If it did, it would certainly fall into the same category.  It might be a case by case basis if someone has so much makeup on that it's falling off, it would need to be addressed.  

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,611 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 21 June 2023 - 03:22 PM

I can't recall hearing about any recalls or product withdrawals on this. I can't imagine that if lip chap sticks aren't an issue, lipstick would be.
YMMV

-Setanta         

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 363 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 21 June 2023 - 04:02 PM

Make-up and lipstick policies vary by site in my experience. Personally I don't think they're too big of an issue and don't have any policy in place regarding their use. However, based on your own risk assessment you may develop alternate rules for your facility.

Gelato Quality Lead

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2023 - 05:23 PM

Any makeup with excessive glitter, rhinestones, etc that could potentially fall into food would also be a big no for me. Other than that, we don't have any policies regarding makeup.

Thanked by 1 Member:

WeedFeedNSeed

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 June 2023 - 07:05 AM

My POV, I would argue it is not (when we are talking about normal use/circumstances), however I think it largely depends if you would feel comfortable arguing that with an auditor, or even leaving yourself open to the question being asked.

Also, it depends on the company you work for, it may be a nice one to offer up to the staff as a compromise as a more modern workplace in lieu of false nails etc or you may want to close the door on it entirely as you will then have foundation, blusher, mascara etc etc.

I can see the logic behind both options.

rhondakay

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 June 2023 - 08:15 PM

Hi SauceManinKS, 

The risk of lipstick contaminating a product is very low. I am unaware of any outbreaks or contamination issues due to workers wearing lipstick and makeup. The main issue with fake nails, fake lashes etc. is that it can fall into food product. If you are going to have "no lipstick or no makeup" as part of your food safety policy, there should be proper justification for having it there. The other thing you should consider is there are tinted lip moisturizers, used for chapped lips so if you decide on going down that route, it will be a very slippery slope. 

I hope this helps 

juanolea1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 46 posts
  • 18 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 June 2023 - 09:00 PM

It is better to have a strict no makeup policy rather than pick and choose on a case by case basis. If you choose to allow lipstick, you eventually end up making arguments for avoiding enforcement of other policies.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 23 June 2023 - 05:03 AM

Hi KSsauceMan,

The wearing of false fingernails, false eyelashes, eyelash extensions, long nails, or fingernail polish should not be permitted when handling exposed food as they are foreign body risks.

Also, strong aftershave/perfume should be prohibited as they can taint.

Lipstick and make up are less of a food safety concern, I wouldn’t exclude them in a policy but deal with anyone that had excessive make up. They are working in a food operation, not on a fashion show.

Kind regards,

Tony

Edited by Tony-C, 23 June 2023 - 05:10 AM.

Bo16

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 76 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 July 2023 - 06:12 PM

No applying make up or lipstick or lip balm in the production areas, not that they cannot be worn into them.....   

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users