Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 30 June 2023 - 09:24 PM

I know that TSP is a GRAS food additive but has anyone used it for sanitation/deep cleaning before? 

We roast coffee beans and currently our procedure for deep cleaning the afterburner and pipes has been to using a metal scraper to scrap off the soot and chaff build up which was then replaced by a wire brush attachment onto a power drill. 

We were advised by a coffee roaster maintenance tech (50+ years working with roaster equipment) to soak the pipes in a TSP water solution. We have not moved forward with this method yet but I am concerned if it is prohibited by organic standards and environmental purposes. We are certified to the USDA organic regulations, 7 CFR Part 205. I was looking at the NOP list but I did not see anything regarding TSP. I also read up that TSP is very bad for the environment.

Any input is greatly appreciated! 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,515 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 July 2023 - 12:58 PM

Absolutely NOT under any circumstances us TSP on a food contact surface regardless of the GRAS classification

Why not use 10% acetic acid and detergent solution-------you will achieve the same results, is organic friendly and safe for your employees to use

TSP was deemed harmful by the Environmental Protection Agency in 2011 and is listed as a “hazardous substance” under the agency's Clean Water Act. The Center For Disease Control also discourages trisodium phosphate cleaner uses and lists shock, burning sensations, abdominal pain, and collapse as reactions to ingestion.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

tnguyen1300

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 July 2023 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for your response Scampi! The pipes for the proposed TPS cleaning are not food contact surfaces. These are the pipes that carry the chaff after roasting the coffee beans. 

Is there a certain brand of detergent I should look into?

Edited by tnguyen1300, 11 July 2023 - 03:20 PM.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,515 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 July 2023 - 04:58 PM

a good quality degreaser   the oil from the roasting will be all over the chaff

something like diversey endurochlor should do the trick

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs