• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 03 July 2023 - 07:12 PM

Hey guys! Honestly, I didn't even know what section to put my topic under, it's so weird... I'm still thinking of the organic auditor appearance, when he came to our facility in April. This was first time I met him - and I was shocked: he was covered in mud, top to bottom, literally! His jacket, hat, pants and especially boots, even a bag, in which he brought his laptop and paperwork - it seemed like he stomped in muddy puddle. I thought: maybe, it was his understanding of "being organic" - but he came to the food plant. And secondly, an auditor cannot look like this, there should be some CB rules of appearance and conduct. (Though, when he took off his outer clothing, he didn't look that dirty, plus he was pretty knowledgeable and professional. But still...)

My question is: has any of you ever had such unpleasant and completely strange experience? What should I do in similar situation: forbit him to enter the facility? I don't even have this point in my Visitor Policy "Visitors shall be clean and wear clean outfit", it even sounds ridiculous. Hope to hear funny stories from you :giggle:

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 03 July 2023 - 07:37 PM

Not an auditor but corporate and other visitors. We finally had to send out a memo about the appropriate outfit to wear. 

So no sandals, shorts, etc. even in the summer. We make non-RTE meat items. You would assume that they would know better and it is going to be cold. Nope. 

Also we don't care who you are/the USDA doesn't care who you are so no jewelry etc. in production areas. 

For an auditor - that would be difficult to say no. For guests or visitors from corporate - nope, not allowed unless following our policy. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Sayed M Naim Khalid

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 July 2023 - 12:23 PM

Olenazh, 

You didn't give information about the type of the operation you have. IF you are working with live animals and have a farm, becoming dirty with mud is pretty normal. 

But if you have manufacturing or processing food operations. THEN, you have to consider the flow and movement in your company i.e., Flow of goods/people from dirty to clean or from red zone to blue or green zone. So everyone, who enters that location shall follow the cleanliness procedure. 

On a side note, the auditor is not there to impress you with their looks. They are there to make sure your company is compliant.

In most companies, there are no strict dress codes or appearance standards for auditors. However, there are some general guidelines that auditors should follow in order to maintain a professional appearance. These guidelines include:

• Dressing in clean, neat, and appropriate attire.
  • Avoiding excessive jewelry or makeup.
  • Keeping hair neat and tidy.
  • Wearing shoes that are closed-toe and comfortable.

The goal is to present a professional appearance that is respectful of the client and the audit process. Ultimately, the auditor's appearance should not distract from their ability to do their job effectively.

Here are some additional tips for auditors on how to maintain a professional appearance:

• Be aware of the dress code or culture of the client's company.
  • Dress for the occasion. If you are auditing a financial institution, you may want to dress more formally than if you were auditing a manufacturing plant.
  • Be comfortable in your own skin. If you feel confident in your appearance, it will show.
  • Pay attention to the details. Make sure your clothes are clean, pressed, and free of wrinkles.

It is also important for auditors to be aware of the cultural norms of the client's company. For example, in some cultures, it is considered disrespectful to wear shorts or sandals in a professional setting. By being mindful of the client's culture, auditors can avoid making any unintentional faux pas.

Thanked by 1 Member:

cookinmaple

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 July 2023 - 10:55 AM

The Auditor is a visitor, visitor policy should cover personal clothing the same as the employee GMP policy. Maybe the auditor was testing to see if you covered this situation?

• G M likes this

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,615 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 10 July 2023 - 02:06 PM

Long ago, I had a USDA relief inspector show up one Saturday in sandals, capri length pants and a tank top. She'd been here before so I was very surprised. I told her that I could not allow her on my production floor like that. She had to see our GMPs before she acknowledged what she was wearing wasn't appropriate. I think she just didn't want to be at the facility on a weekend.

-Setanta         

WineSafe

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 July 2023 - 05:40 AM

I would reach out to the company he represents and ask this question.  If this was a government agency... then they should know better.  If this was a certifying body auditor - I would definately reach out to the company.  

How do you maintain respect for your program with your employees when you allow someone to walk through breaking your rules, just because they have some authority.  

That would be a hard no for me.  I would ask what happened, if there was some sort of accident that happened, I would find a way to accomodate them - finding coveralls for them to wear? 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users