• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malta
    Malta

Posted 19 July 2023 - 06:33 AM

Hi all,

I am working on a project for continual improvement and the section is R&D department. 

I am curious to see how other fellow experts are managing and tackling such approach, as to ensure all steps and levels from product concept to end consumer is handled, where our primary focus is food safety and quality of the product to end consumer.

Cheers

Aneta 

MOHAMMED ZAMEERUDDIN

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 276 posts
  • 59 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Sharing the Knowledge

Posted 19 July 2023 - 11:39 AM

Hi Aneta,

Follow the following points:

- initiates the research process

- prepares the samples for sensory evaluation

- fix the product specifications as per the regulatory body

- distribute the approved samples by sensory evaluation panel in the market

- based on market feedback, incorporate changes in the process and product

- identify the resources for commercial production

- continuously take feedback from the customers

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 July 2023 - 02:15 PM

Hi all,

I am working on a project for continual improvement and the section is R&D department. 

I am curious to see how other fellow experts are managing and tackling such approach, as to ensure all steps and levels from product concept to end consumer is handled, where our primary focus is food safety and quality of the product to end consumer.

Cheers

Aneta 

Hi Aneta,

You may get some directly relevant comments if you supply some details regarding the Project.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Aneta Camilleri Kostova

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malta
    Malta

Posted 20 July 2023 - 08:30 AM

Sure. Will try to be more specific.

The approach is to ensure that whenever a new product (or existing one) is been developed all targeted product characteristics are asses and taken into consideration - such as legal requirements, physical and quality attributes and end consumer needs. The assessment should take into account also the ingredients  functionality  testing methodology  , process steps and process parameters etc. The idea is that from quality end we ensure that chosen materials and methodologies are correct in sequence by ensuring smoother process and minimal to none process deviations. 

Hope this is more clearer.

The project i find is quite complex, therefore seeking different opinions , suggestions etc.

Thanks

Aneta

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 July 2023 - 01:57 AM

The approach is to ensure that whenever a new product (or existing one) is been developed all targeted product characteristics are asses and taken into consideration - such as legal requirements, physical and quality attributes and end consumer needs. The assessment should take into account also the ingredients  functionality  testing methodology  , process steps and process parameters etc. The idea is that from quality end we ensure that chosen materials and methodologies are correct in sequence by ensuring smoother process and minimal to none process deviations. 

The project i find is quite complex, therefore seeking different opinions , suggestions etc.

Thanks

Aneta

Hi Aneta,

Thanks for details.

I think your targeted "objective" is similar to a basic 101 for Product Development. :smile:

IMEX Large Food Companies have developed algorithms which output a lengthy document including the items you mention as available (or not) from their Database. Unfortunately the methodology is usually proprietary although I have no doubt that software suppliers like Safefood would be only too happy to offer suggestions to meet yr menu list. If you are starting from "scratch" this kind of option would be my initial (practical) suggestion, ie Get Help..

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

beautiophile

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 254 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 21 July 2023 - 07:40 AM

Thanks

Aneta

This sounds tricky to me.

If looking at R&D of some mega-corporations, their 'products' are a library of patents and/or ideas which can be used later. The pending time may last a couple months or years or forever. IMO, R&D likely serves the business strategy rather than in-real-time production. It is hard to apply normal QA-QC principles here. Otherwise, this would look like we ask academic universities making instantly profitable products.

Anyway, the ISO9000 series (I believe several other standards refer to) defines "product design & development" as a process which converts "customer's requirement" into 'product/production/testing specifications".

- In a narrow point of view, normal QA can conform that.

- In a broader perspective, it might take over the idea above like prediction or trending of the market (the term 'requirement' changes to 'demand'). This case is usually beyond the knowledge of ordinary auditors, who probably haven't sat on top-management seats. I hardly see a general director quitting their job to become an auditor.

Just threw my 2-cents.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users