• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does anyone have an Ethical Sourcing Policy to share?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

CSchmidt

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 July 2023 - 08:12 PM

Does anyone have an Ethical Sourcing Policy that they would be willing to share?   I just need some idea on what direction to take this.

For context we are a Cooperative that receives edible beans (Pinto, Black, and Navy beans) directly from the farmers during harvest.  By Cooperative I mean that the farmers that deliver to us are basically our owners. 

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 31 July 2023 - 11:23 AM

Greetings CSchmidt,

Ethical sourcing has many dimensions and the suppliers being the owners does not exclude them. I believe the economic/ adulteration and other similar aspects wouldn't apply as they propably wouldn't steal from themselves.

However, things like zero tolerance for forced or child labor, safe and healthy work conditions, fair payment and many more things that are generally accepted as ethical ways of conduct should apply. These are things that you can include in the policy. For example you can't have a supplier/owner that practices discriminatory employment etc! There is actually no limit at what is considered ethical especially by default, not only the legislated ones, but you just need to capture the main ideas.

Regards!

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 July 2023 - 04:59 PM

There are ethical trade standards like the SMETA 4 pillar or SA 8000.  

Here's an old SMETA pre-audit questionnaire that should give some ideas.

Attached Files

AJL

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 339 posts
  • 21 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 25 October 2023 - 06:24 PM

Ok off topic here, but anyone want to help me out here? SMETA audits, who has responsibility? Our customer wants one so I booked one, which made everyone assume I knew what I was doing and would 'handle it'. I did fill out all the pre assessment forms and the sedex SAQ, but that was together with CSR.

Seems like the audit spans Health and safety, HR and working conditions, CSR and sustainability etc, all things I wouldn't have a clue about. 

I'm QA  :happydance:

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 October 2023 - 09:50 PM

Ok off topic here, but anyone want to help me out here? SMETA audits, who has responsibility? Our customer wants one so I booked one, which made everyone assume I knew what I was doing and would 'handle it'. I did fill out all the pre assessment forms and the sedex SAQ, but that was together with CSR.

Seems like the audit spans Health and safety, HR and working conditions, CSR and sustainability etc, all things I wouldn't have a clue about. 

I'm QA  :happydance:

I organize the SMETA audits here, ostensibly because we have more people and more experience dealing with audits and auditors in general, but the content clearly makes this 99.99% HR and personnel safety.  The only food safety adjacent question is the potable water report, or the break room.

Similar to your description, I fill out the parts that are general enough on questionnaires and highlight those and any that need department feedback and pass them to the relevant department managers to complete.  The on-site is much the same, I provide some organization and answer the generic stuff, then bring in the appropriate people to handle their specifics.

Honestly, I think this audit is longer than all of our food safety and quality on-site audits added together, and would love to pass it off to HR.  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users