• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 August 2023 - 03:55 PM

Hi all,

I have a few questions about exporting requirement and certificate for Pet Foods from Canada to the US and need some expert advices. We are a meat processing facility for human consumption, and our client wants us to build and package pet foods and sell to the client then they will to export to the US. Are we required to have inspections and export certificate from CFIA or the client has to do it? If it is our responsibility, should the pet food production need to be a separate line? Thanks for your time and input

Edited by GreenMango, 02 August 2023 - 04:05 PM.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 August 2023 - 05:14 PM

1) You need to get the export certificate from CFIA yourself as you are preparing the final packaging and you know it's destined for export (since you're already meat, this shouldn't be an issue, provided you are already approved to export to the USA)  Your best bet here is to ask the VIC or inspector on site

2) if there will be a new allergen introduced, use a separate line if possible

3) you may need to amend your SFCR license to accommodate pet feed and there are separate regulations and may require a separate license 

https://inspection.c...24125724?chap=0

https://inspection.c...9/1321153110863

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

GreenMango

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 August 2023 - 03:03 PM

Thanks Scampi for your valuable input. 

Since we are neither federal registered facility nor slaughterhouse, we don't have VIC or inspector on site. We just further process meat imported from other federal registered establishments and distribute to hotels and food services within a province. But I can see that in order to export, we have to have our facility inspected by CFIA

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users