Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 17 August 2023 - 04:12 AM

The food safety culture in one of our plants needs improving and while we are workg on it, we see that the operators continue to follow outdated procedures.  Instead of looking physically at the packaging materials they will copy down the same information from one days' log to the next and today I did a verification of that and of all of the codes they need to use only two of the seven were correct.  This comes a day after we did a mock recall on packaging and we had terrible results.

Floor management likes to point fingers and to them it is our fault that we have this issue when in fact they are the ones who are not supervising their people.  I spoke with the assistant plant manager this morning and even he was saying that our system is a mess and it is not right that we name staff when we find mistakes but... this is what we see.  Our system is very manual and we know it has a huge margin for error but we at least ask and trust that the information that they report on the logs is true to what is actually being used. 

I have a training session scheduled for next week to cover traceability and I want to highlight without it becoming a scolding session our findings from our mock recall so I can show them why they need to be so careful when recording traceabiity codes.  

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can approach this and also how to break them of their bad habits?

Thanks in advance

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 17 August 2023 - 11:48 AM

The change needs to start at the top. So whoever the floor management's boss is - that is who needs to talk to them. Who needs to monitor the situation and hold management accountable for their employee's mistakes. 

Another suggestion - ask for opinions on the paperwork by the people who fill it out. Maybe there is a simpler way on things. They then have buy in. 

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 17 August 2023 - 11:55 AM

Agree with kfromNE on this.  Ask them on the floor if they have suggestions or an easier way for them to record these.  Maybe ask them to show you the process they use to do this.  This way maybe you can see why there is a reluctance.  Maybe there is some sort of reason why it is not be transferred correctly or maybe they have an idea that would help and then as was said above, you get the buy in.  As Food Safety and quality leaders we cannot continually find fault and hold meeting and such on what is wrong, we have to work together to find a solution that in adherence, but also makes the process easy with all members.  You show willingness to work together and you get buy in and everything becomes so much easier.  I've been there before some long time staff who are reluctant to change, but when i worked with them, talked with them, asked for their ideas, almost always was able to solve the issue.

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 363 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 17 August 2023 - 03:42 PM

I agree that the change needs to come from the top. A meeting with senior staff should be held to show them the canadian code stating that simply copying information without performing a check is actually illegal. It's falsifying data and could get the company in a lot of trouble. They should understand what the risks of keeping false records are, and you recent mock recall is proof of that. Times like these I like to try and scare people a bit. Once senior management is on your side, holding a training with staff about proper record keeping and procedures will be more beneficial. 

It's true that there may be a simpler way to do your record keeping. Typically the Quality department handles form revisions, because they understand the legal requirements the best. If you can devise a more streamlined paperwork, it can help with getting buy-in from the staff.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 September 2023 - 01:28 PM

There is usually grant money available from your province to implement traceability systems that are no longer manual---search Can-Trac as they are approved in Ontario from OMAFRA (as an example)

YOU cannot change this unfortunately without the buy in from management. Since they don't seem to want to help and/or don't see a problem, your hands are tied.   

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Konstantinos

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 September 2023 - 04:38 PM

- Get the feelings out,

- find the root cause of the issue,

- optimise the process in order to find the right solution on the shop floor,

- sell your solution to the shop floor management,

- then agree training,

- which will be followed by live supervision,

- Review, 

- amend standardise,

and always remember: facts are a weapon when you assess the level of conformity rather than the opposite (non conformity).   

Quality and Safety go together, do not try to separate them!

farshad2008

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Iran
    Iran

Posted 12 September 2023 - 06:07 AM

ABC model could be helpful. ABC is an acronym for Antecedents, Behavior, Consequences.

Depict the Consequences can increase risk perception then you can have more effective Risk communication .

For engagement of staff, you need a magic word : YES 

most of the time we provide the people the work instruction, SOP for"How to do "but they dont say yes( follow ) 

"Why to do" is needed as well . ABC model specially C to B is important to explain why to do and Story telling of incident is helpful .

Finally we  know that  Cultivate the safety and quality takes time so blame people is not a  shortcut to achieve the goal.

The people should know their role in food safety and quality and be proud of that.

Good Luck

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 528 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 September 2023 - 01:01 PM

I've had to do a lot of this where I'm at, and changing old habits isn't easy.   So unfortunately, I'd give this advice too:   It can be a slow burn sometimes.   Keep diggin....

Miss Frankie

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 267 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 September 2023 - 01:31 PM

YES!  Always ask those dealing with the paperwork for input.  I'd do a rough draft, then ask for suggestions from users. Some suggestions were easy, others were modified and others just couldn't be done.  But we'd talk it over and they'd understand why their suggestion couldn't work.

Also, I have found that BIG changes are sometimes easier to handle than minor changes.  I think with minor changes, it's too easy to forget and fall back into old habits.  With bigger changes, they have to think about what they are doing.  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users