• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 September 2023 - 03:45 PM

Hello all, 

we have an eyewash station near our chemical closet which is in compliance with 29 CRF 1910.151 ©. I have had some issues with operators storing skids and other things around the eyewash station floor marking, which if you are coming from any other direction, you cannot see where it is located. I was told as long as we have a walk away from the hazard, we are good. I've noticed the "walkway" from the closet has also been blocked on many occasions. I am unsure if this is truly compliant, but I have written it up numerous times in my internal audit for this area, the result of that was as long as we keep a little walkway we are good per the safety director. I feel as if it needs to be fully visible as we do work with hot liquids, citric acid those kinds of things that you cannot see the eyewash station from because of high stacked skids etc. Please let me know thoughts as I believe we should have a clear walkway from all angles regardless as this is the only station in the room.

29 CFR 1910.151© states “Where the eyes or body of any person may be exposed to injurious corrosive materials, suitable facilities for quick drenching or flushing of the eyes and body shall be provided within the work area for immediate emergency use.”

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 September 2023 - 03:52 PM

Safety is like 5th tier something I have to help with in my plants, but I'd be throwing a fit in your shoes.  Sure, someone might be able to "justify" that the walkway is sufficient.  But the notion that someone who just took hot citric acid to the face and is probably half blind needs to go around an obstacle course to get first aid is morally objectionable at best, and I doubt an OSHA inspector would find a walkway through pallets of crap meets the spirit of the standard.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 September 2023 - 04:15 PM

A) unacceptable and does not meet the required standard

B) have concrete pillars put in around the eye wash station--they protect the person using it from fork lift AND keeps the area clear

C) progressive discipline is what's needed

Companies that meet the minimum standard no more and no less are the REASON this regulations exist in the first place IMHO  

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Miss Frankie

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 267 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 September 2023 - 04:23 PM

We were told that an unassisted, blindfolded person had to be able to reach an eye wash within 10 seconds from chemical storage.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 September 2023 - 07:36 PM

he OSHA standard 29 CFR 1910.151© requires eyewash and shower equipment for emergency use where the eyes or body of any employee may be exposed to injurious corrosive materials. For details on emergency eyewash and shower equipment we reference consensus standard ANSI Z358.1-1990.

A water hose may be used in conjunction with emergency showers/eyewash stations, but, not as a substitute for them. At locations (construction sites included) where hazardous chemicals are handled by employees proper eyewash and body drenching equipment shall be available no more than 100 feet from the work station(s). The employee (who may be partly blinded by chemicals in the eyes) must be able to reach and use the eyewash and/or body drenching equipment within 10 seconds. The physical layout of the workplace with specific attention to obstructions such as machine and equipment must be considered in locating eyewash stations.

• G M likes this

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 693 posts
  • 229 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 October 2023 - 05:32 PM

We have "Zebra Stripes" (a box with diagonally painted yellow lines) around all of our emergency equipment. All forklift operators are told never to impede these boxes or they risk corrective (disciplinary) action. We have written up forklift operators for violating the rule and don't have an issue any more. These areas (exits, egress, fire extinguishers, electrical panels etc.) are all kept clear now, no bollards or extra equipment or cost necessary. If they can't see the zebra stripes and keep them clear, I would just disqualify them from their classification and find someone who can.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users