• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 27 September 2023 - 02:28 AM

Hi all.

We have just purchased a used metal detector but there are no reject bins with it. The supplier does not have any. What are some options we can utilise to have this running well? I have searched far and wide for some reject bins but cant seem to locate any and was wondering if anyone has been able to set up their own. One side rejects metal, and the other side rejects underweights/overweights. Thank you

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 27 September 2023 - 02:59 AM

Hi nakedbakery,

I guess it must have been cheap!  :lol2:

You say one side rejects metal, and the other side rejects underweights/overweights. Does that mean that the reject mechanisms are in place but there is no bin/lockable cage there?

Kind regards,

Tony

nakedbakery

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 27 September 2023 - 05:29 AM

Hi Tony,

I wish it was - paid $24,000 AUD for it. Yes it has reject mechanisms but no bins

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 528 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 September 2023 - 01:46 PM

I don't know what your setup looks like, but ours kicks out into garbage cans.   Clean garbage cans of course, lol.  They're just labeled 'kickouts'.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 27 September 2023 - 03:38 PM

Just contact the manufacturer of the detector - that's what one of our clients did and they provided directly.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 September 2023 - 04:13 PM

Is the detector handling open product or sealed packages?  (I'm guessing sealed product bins or trays or bags or something).  You can get away with staging some clean and sanitized trash cans where the reject mechanism is pushing out the trays.  Auditors do like seeing locked bins to prevent employees from taking rejected material and placing it on finished pallets, but you can get around this with training and even labeling of the bins.  Hell, depending on the size of your product and the quantity of rejects you anticipate, a couple of wire bins could be hung on the sides of the machine by one of your more creative maintenance guys.

If you'd prefer the locking type bins and can't get any from the supplier or the manufacturer, you could reach out to local metal fabrication shops to build you a set of custom ones attached to the machine itself.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 September 2023 - 08:41 PM

Maintenance or a local fabricator could make a pair of rectangular stainless bins with some caster wheels on them pretty easily. 

We have a mix of fancy manufacturer cabinets and in-house bins.  Depending on your product and reject rates the rolling and hot-swappable bins might be preferable.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 28 September 2023 - 02:25 AM

Hi Tony,

I wish it was - paid $24,000 AUD for it. Yes it has reject mechanisms but no bins

Hi nakedbakery,

$24k doesn't sound too bad. As long as I'm not paying for it  :smile:

Should be a relatively easy fix to capture the rejects if the reject mechanism is working. In addition to "bins", I have seen rejects into locked cages on tables which makes less of a mess and easier to investigate rejections if they haven't been damaged by dropping into a bin.

I am wondering why you would reject overweight? unless it was a specific dietary requirement/claim.

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users