• Quick Navigation
Photo

Usage of salt product after floor contact?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
- - - - -

confusedQC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 October 2023 - 08:22 PM

Just a quick question i've been doing research, but can't find exactly what I am looking for. What I want to know is can I use salt  (A commodity) that has been scrapped off the floor in my manufacturing process? BRCgs cert, organic, kosher etc. 

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 363 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 03 October 2023 - 08:29 PM

No, that material should be disposed of. By scraping it up off the floor you're also bringing dirt, grime, bacteria, and who knows what else along with it.

• G M likes this

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2023 - 08:34 PM

A floor is always 100% going to be a non-food contact surface in any applicable law or code, ergo no product may be used after coming into touch with it.  There's specific storage regulations in US Federal Code (and most other countries) that state food must be stored a certain height off of the floor, only lowering the limits if it's within a sealed package.

Floors be filthy.  Who knows what else you're scraping up besides the salt?

confusedQC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 October 2023 - 08:39 PM

Thank you I assumed so, trying to get others to understand. would this classify as adulteration then? Intentionally using that from the floor- perhaps even being put into organic/ non-GMO finish product?

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 363 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 03 October 2023 - 08:44 PM

Thank you I assumed so, trying to get others to understand. would this classify as adulteration then? Intentionally using that from the floor- perhaps even being put into organic/ non-GMO finish product?

Yes, food made with ingredient scraped off the floor would indeed be considered adulterated by FDA's definition:

https://www.accessda...ch.cfm?fr=110.5

(a) The criteria and definitions in this part shall apply in determining whether a food is adulterated (1) within the meaning of section 402(a)(3) of the act in that the food has been manufactured under such conditions that it is unfit for food; or (2) within the meaning of section 402(a)(4) of the act in that the food has been prepared, packed, or held under insanitary conditions whereby it may have become contaminated with filth, or whereby it may have been rendered injurious to health. The criteria and definitions in this part also apply in determining whether a food is in violation of section 361 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 264).

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 03 October 2023 - 09:54 PM

Some years back I was conducting an inspection at a cheese company and the process conveyor that held 8 oz blocks of cheddar cheese got backed up and as I watched about 10 blocks fell on the floor.

Quickly a worker (with her back towards me) swooped down and gathered them in her apron and dumped them back on the line - when she realized I was watching her she yelled out - "5 second rule."

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 October 2023 - 01:06 PM

Confused QC, you seem to be confused about what REGULATION you need to follow

GFSI is NOT who you ultimately should be concerned with ---your #1 job is to comply with the law 

Adulteration was posted in a PP

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 528 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 October 2023 - 01:54 PM

Some years back I was conducting an inspection at a cheese company and the process conveyor that held 8 oz blocks of cheddar cheese got backed up and as I watched about 10 blocks fell on the floor.

Quickly a worker (with her back towards me) swooped down and gathered them in her apron and dumped them back on the line - when she realized I was watching her she yelled out - "5 second rule."

this one made me lol a little bit....

my kid yells that same thing when he drops food on the floor....

David SS

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 05 October 2023 - 03:14 AM

Salt is difficult to clean once it is contaminated, so salt that has fallen on the floor should not be used. 

But I'm curious about the material that can still be cleaned in the next process. For example, onions or coffee beans are cleaned in a cleaning machine in the next process. The cleaning process can remove dust, sand and other physical contaminants. For microbiology, it can be eliminated with high temperature during the cooking or roasting process.

For cases like the one above, is it permissible to continue using raw materials that have fallen on the floor? After checking the level of material dirtiness by QC first, for example?

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 October 2023 - 01:47 PM

For cases like the one above, is it permissible to continue using raw materials that have fallen on the floor? After checking the level of material dirtiness by QC first, for example?

Reconditioning.  This is probably limited to pre-lethality components, and those that can be reasonably cleansed of filth by trimming and washing.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users