• Quick Navigation
Photo

Chemical Dilution Concentration (Automatic Dispenser) and Sink Compartment for Cleaning

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Shaf12

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2023 - 01:54 AM

Hi, i have few questions.

We are following the standard of FSSC 22000 v5.1.

1. Currently we are using automatic dispenser for diluting sanitizer and washing detergent, for cleaning equipment. How frequent should I check the diluted chemical since it's automated. What test strip should i use?

2. We have one department with washing sink (1 compartment). But we got NC due to insufficiency with sanitizing process. Should i propose to use to compartment (Wash+rinse, sanitize). Do you have any advise on this?

Thanks a lot for your help!

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 October 2023 - 04:22 AM

For the most part the cleaning process should be:  Preclean (rinse or scrap), wash, rinse, sanitize.

Was the NC specifically for not verifying sanitizer concentrations?

The strip you use for checking concentration depends on the sanitizer (quat, chlorine, PAA, Acid, etc).   Depending on the sanitizer there may not be a test strip available and you would have to titrate to obtain concentration.   You may want to consult the chemical supplier for recommendations.  I would check daily or as used.  In theory you should also check the soap (wash) - which is usually a titration.   

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Shaf12

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2023 - 07:43 AM

Was the NC specifically for not verifying sanitizer concentrations? - Yes. The auditor said that i could use test strip just to ensure that the chemical is in the correct dilution. However, I'm kinda confuse on the frequency since we use automatic dispenser. 

For the washing sink, i understand on the 3 step cleaning process. But we have space restriction where we could only fit small washing sink in that particular area. With the small area, to change the sink into small 3 compartments washing sink seems, will it be practical?

Shaf12

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2023 - 07:44 AM

For the most part the cleaning process should be:  Preclean (rinse or scrap), wash, rinse, sanitize.

Was the NC specifically for not verifying sanitizer concentrations?

The strip you use for checking concentration depends on the sanitizer (quat, chlorine, PAA, Acid, etc).   Depending on the sanitizer there may not be a test strip available and you would have to titrate to obtain concentration.   You may want to consult the chemical supplier for recommendations.  I would check daily or as used.  In theory you should also check the soap (wash) - which is usually a titration.   

Was the NC specifically for not verifying sanitizer concentrations? - Yes. The auditor said that i could use test strip just to ensure that the chemical is in the correct dilution. However, I'm kinda confuse on the frequency since we use automatic dispenser. 

For the washing sink, i understand on the 3 step cleaning process. But we have space restriction where we could only fit small washing sink in that particular area. With the small area, to change the sink into small 3 compartments washing sink seems, will it be practical?

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 10 October 2023 - 12:26 PM

I'd check the concentration every day using a test strip the chemical company recommends and document.  I would also have the chemical company come out at least once a year to check that automatic dispenser to ensure it is still working correctly and have them provide you with a document that shows they tested it and it is still in good order.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 October 2023 - 02:15 PM

Space constraints are not a suitable reason for not following the basic cleaning method

You need to develop a process that A) makes sense and is easy to follow and B) demonstrate via visual checks that this process is being followed e.g. on a GMP inspection record or similar

I'd verify every time I filled the sink depending on frequency

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 October 2023 - 05:21 PM

Having someone test the titration each day straight out of the automatic machine is the most bulletproof system.  Record the satisfactory result on a controlled form.  This gives you solid proof that every sanitation shift is done with the right chemical concentration.  And as Scotty recommended, make sure the machine is checked for proper function\calibration once a year minimum, making sure the machine(s) is/are on your listed calibration schedule with all the other equipment you have calibrated.

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 October 2023 - 08:27 AM

Id check at least daily.   I've had simple and complex metering systems  They all seemed to not work correctly pretty often.  

Are you currently washing, rinsing and sanitizing in the same sink?  depending on location, they maybe required.   

Id check at least every day you use it or every time you use it like scampi stated.  I've had complex and simple metering systems and they all seem to not work correctly more frequently than you would expect.  

You are currently wash, rinse, sanitize in the same sink?   Depending on your  location, a 3 compartment sink may be a regulatory requirement.  

Edited by kingstudruler1, 11 October 2023 - 08:30 AM.

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Test Strip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users