Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 October 2023 - 06:31 PM

Hi everyone- I am getting mixed responses and CFR is not that detailed. In the even of a market withdrawal (i.e. example we don’t like a color of pepperoni)no food safety issue. is it required to notify USDA?

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 16 October 2023 - 06:55 PM

I would say yes.  Always a good idea to notify the relevant authorities and parties in any circumstance.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 17 October 2023 - 04:15 AM

Hi Esoto728,

I’m not sure that this withdrawal would extend to the need for a notice, more of a discussion initially:

Title 21 Food and Drugs Subpart A—General Provisions § 7.46 Firm-initiated recall.

A firm that initiates a removal or correction of its product which the firm believes is a market withdrawal should consult with the appropriate Food and Drug Administration district office when the reason for the removal or correction is not obvious or clearly understood but where it is apparent, e.g., because of complaints or adverse reactions regarding the product, that the product is deficient in some respect. In such cases, the Food and Drug Administration will assist the firm in determining the exact nature of the problem.

Kind regards,

Tony

Esoto728

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 January 2024 - 08:23 PM

Thanks Tony!