Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Luxembourg
    Luxembourg

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:03 AM

Yes I know you; you're that small country we always struggle to beat at football. Mind you we did OK last night against Greece 4-0. You obviously speak French and English Max, so what is the native language of Luxembourg - German? :eekout:

:angry:

Obviously I forgot to tell that we don't like to be considered as german, nor as germanspeaking.

The native language here is luxemburgish of course... ;) Yet the official languages are luxemburgish, french and german

Concerning football, I didn't know that anyone ever struggled against us (even if we "only" lost 1-0 against Turkey yesterday).

Here a few other statistics I herd yesterday (hope I correctly remember...):
*Worst european team in the FIFA World ranking (even behind San marino and Liechtenstein (they beat us 3 or 4-0...)
*Luxemburg is ranked 198th in the FIFA World ranking (same number of points as the Cook Islands), which means there are only 5 or 6 country that play worse...
*I think that in september we will "celebrate" our 11th consecutive year without a victory of our national team in football, which should explain the bad ranking above.
*No goal scored during the last EC qualification campaign

Is that enough information on our football skills? So I think we can just close that debate

Regards,
Max

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:40 AM

Is 0-1 V Turkey considered a victory? Anyway at least you are ranked higher than Scotland - in my estimation. :biggrin:

I have two further questions about your country - what is the population and what are the main industries and exports?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Max

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Luxembourg
    Luxembourg

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:35 PM

Is 0-1 V Turkey considered a victory? Anyway at least you are ranked higher than Scotland - in my estimation. :biggrin:

No quite but almost... I guess that the journalists will at least consider it as a very good result, just like the 0-3 against Portugal or the 0-3 against Russia (which much better than we are so it's a good result and almost considered as a victory) :thumbdown:

I have two further questions about your country - what is the population and what are the main industries and exports?

The population is 400.000 so it would be the equivalent to a medium to small english city I guess.

Main industries are the service sector (mainly banks as might know those that have a secret bank account over here... ;) ) and steel industry.
By the way, have you heard of the recent fusion of Mittal Steel and Arcelor? Well Arcelor is based in Luxembourg, just like the new Mittal company will be now.

Max

Edited by Max, 17 August 2006 - 12:37 PM.

Regards,
Max

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:20 PM

No quite but almost... I guess that the journalists will at least consider it as a very good result, just like the 0-3 against Portugal or the 0-3 against Russia (which much better than we are so it's a good result and almost considered as a victory) :thumbdown:

:roflmao:

Main industries are the service sector (mainly banks as might know those that have a secret bank account over here... ;) ) and steel industry.
By the way, have you heard of the recent fusion of Mittal Steel and Arcelor? Well Arcelor is based in Luxembourg, just like the new Mittal company will be now.

No I had not heard of the fusion, but I have now. Thanks for telling us about Luxembourg. It's great to have you on board. :welcome:

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:46 PM

Dear Max / Simon,
Max's input just shows how one person can generate a thread. :clap:

My French is indeed a bit limited but I understood the 'Que ?' from watching a re-run of Manuel in Fawlty Towers (exists in Luxembourg?).

According to Google, the inhabitants of Luxembourg seem also to be a remarkably honest nation. I found this on the tourism promotions -

'The Museum of Natural History and the Museum of the City of Luxembourg which covers the city's history are worth a visit. More interesting than you might think.'

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:56 PM

Max's input just shows how one person can generate a thread. :clap:

Several great new 'posting' members have joined us this week; my spirits have been lifted.

My French is indeed a bit limited but I understood the "Que ?" from watching a re-run of Manuel in Fawlty Towers (exists in Luxembourg?).

I will have to pull you on this Charles, Manuel was actually from Barcelona, Spain. Basil Fawlty to guest after Manuel makes yet another mistake "err sorry he's from Barcelona".

If I don't see you again have a nice weekend Charles. :bye:

Regards,
Simon

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:20 PM

Dear Simon,
Just testing. You are absolutely correct regarding Basil's unforgettable lines however I think que (with accent) in Spanish = que (no accent) in French = what ?, then again I know even less Spanish. Any posters from Spain?
Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Max

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Luxembourg
    Luxembourg

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:53 AM

Dear Simon,
Just testing. You are absolutely correct regarding Basil's unforgettable lines however I think que (with accent) in Spanish = que (no accent) in French = what ?, then again I know even less Spanish. Any posters from Spain?
Rgds / Charles.C

Never heard of "Manuel in Fawlty Towers"...

My spanish is very poor, but in french, "que doesn't" quite mean "what". It is rather used in the sense of "that":

for example:
je sais "que"... = I know "that"...

Concerning, people in Luxembourg, I can't really say if we are more honest than others. I'll let you judge on your next visit in Luxembourg and it's museums ;)

Regards,
Max

Edited by Max, 18 August 2006 - 06:58 AM.

Regards,
Max

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:05 AM

Dear Max,
Try -
http://www.fawltysite.net/

This is a tribute to the classic 1970s comedy series set in the fictional Fawlty Towers hotel in Torquay on the English Riviera.

It is just possible that the series (Fawlty Towers starring John Cleese of Monty Python fame)) never made it to your area although it certainly went all over the world.

Actually, I was thinking of Yorkshire's starting post on this thread 'Que voulez-vous dire ?'. After prolonged thought I guessed that meant ‘what do you want to say' but I am quite willing to be convinced otherwise. Maybe it's French slang ?

I checked back the clip relating to Luxembourg and found it came from the BBC website so I guess it must be true although I hope for the chance to re-verify it sometime.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Max

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Luxembourg
    Luxembourg

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:24 AM

This is a tribute to the classic 1970s comedy series set in the fictional Fawlty Towers hotel in Torquay on the English Riviera.

Dear Charles C.,

well I already heard about Fawlty Towers though I never saw it but never heard of that movie before. If it is a comedy series (using the english sense of humour), I might understand why it never made it to the big TV channels in France or Germany... ;)
Actually, Mr Bean or Monty Python are more or less popular in continental Europe as you might know. But you almost never see such films on prime time.

Don't ask me why:whistle:

Regards,
Max

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:23 AM

Dear Max,

I honestly didn't realise the English humour was classified as significantly different to other Europaean countries, more, less or just different, so I had a look on the Web and you are absolutely correct - as an example -

'Barry Dodds has forged an enviable reputation for himself over the past few years, charming audiences nationwide, with his uniquely tailored combination of disarming Geordie wit, and wry, down-to-earth observational humour. Recently returned from a solo show in Luxembourg - he became the first comic to ever perform on Luxembourg TV…'
:smile:
Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:38 AM

I honestly didn't realise the English humour was classified as significantly different to other European countries, more, less or just different.

Obviously funny things are funny the world over, but subtleties of humour are peculiar to countries and regions. For example in Oldham we like to put ferrets down our trousers - hilarious! Although not considered funny at all in Bavaria and in Burgundy the practice is frowned upon.

Simon

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:33 AM

To date we have 1,418 registered members, however only a very small proportion of these are active members.

We're facing the same situation here in Italy.

A no profit organization for quality has been running a forum for members since 2003 and three members out of 450 are discussing, the others are lurking.

Needless to say I am one of the three guys mate.

I tried hard :cm: to involve the members of a special working sub-group on food safety. Believe me or not the members prefer to travel 200 km by car, on average every month, just to have a meeting somewhere rather than logging in and having the possibility to share docs and discuss on the Forum 24 h a day free of charge :dunno:

I think we must wait. Time is on our side :clap:

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:32 PM

We're facing the same situation here in Italy.

A no profit organization for quality has been running a forum for members since 2003 and three members out of 450 are discussing, the others are lurking.

Needless to say I am one of the three guys mate.

How about a link?

I tried hard :cm: to involve the members of a special working sub-group on food safety. Believe me or not the members prefer to travel 200 km by car, on average every month, just to have a meeting somewhere rather than logging in and having the possibility to share docs and discuss on the Forum 24 h a day free of charge :dunno:

Have you thought about trying a competition? :death:

Italians are renown for their vibrant demonstrative communication skills, they like to be touchy feely - do you think it may be a cultural thing? After all it is difficult to share wine over the internet. :smile: Or in the English case weak beer. :beer:

Simon

chen

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:47 AM

Italians are renown for their vibrant demonstrative communication skills, they like to be touchy feely - do you think it may be a cultural thing? After all it is difficult to share wine over the internet. :smile: Or in the English case weak beer. :beer:

Simon

Simon, why not help them by creating emoticons that hold wine glasses instead? :off_topic:

Regards.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:41 AM

Simon, why not help them by creating emoticons that hold wine glasses instead? :off_topic:

Why not Chen we have one for just about everything else. :biggrin:

Cheers, :yay:
Simon

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:58 AM

How about a link?

It's not free, you have to pay a yearly fee for membership.
Nevertheless all 450 members are paying and not using the Forum.

Yes I did, but the majority (two out of three :smile: ) of the active members do not agree. We have regular food safety meetings since 2003, and occasionally we share wine and food, this is definitely better than typing on our keyboards, but we have never been able to discuss or share docs on the Forum. We have developed a couple of guidelines, one for "Traceability" and the other for "ISO 22000 tools", presented in Seminars and sold many copies.
The other two active members of the Forum are not involved in the food safety meetings though.

Edited by Franco, 23 August 2006 - 06:59 AM.

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:25 AM

It's not free, you have to pay a yearly fee for membership.
Nevertheless all 450 members are paying and not using the Forum.

:beam:

Yes I did, but the majority (two out of three :smile: ) of the active members do not agree.

They are very wise. :king:

We have regular food safety meetings since 2003, and occasionally we share wine and food, this is definitely better than typing on our keyboards, but we have never been able to discuss or share docs on the Forum. We have developed a couple of guidelines, one for "Traceability" and the other for "ISO 22000 tools", presented in Seminars and sold many copies. The other two active members of the Forum are not involved in the food safety meetings though.

It looks like you are having some success; as you know it takes a lot of time and effort, sometimes it's infuriating and sometimes depressing, but when soemthing good happens like happened here last week e.g. lot's of new members and activity it's just great and makes it all worthwhile, but then back to the usual... :smile:

Keep up the good work Franco. If you decide to translate your docs into English I would be interested in discussing with you about selling them through this network - let me know.

Regards,
Simon

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:54 AM

Dear Simon, (transferred from incorrect thread, apologies )

I had thought yr earlier ferret reference was an urban myth however I also found links stating that -

'Loyal to nothing that lives, the ferret has only one characteristic that might be deemed positive -- a tenacious, single-minded belief in finishing whatever it starts. That usually entails biting off whatever it bites.'

And also -

'Fortunately we don't come from that part of England, so my husband sings a low tenor.'

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:29 AM

"Loyal to nothing that lives, the ferret has only one characteristic that might be deemed positive -- a tenacious, single-minded belief in finishing whatever it starts. That usually entails biting off whatever it bites."

They are vicious, smelly creatures. Not very cuddly at all, but people keep them as pets. Whatever turns you on. :whistle:

Simon

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:20 AM

I for one find the forums very informative, and try to be as active as my work load allows. I've also made a couple of friends who i communicate with on a more personal level that i can within the forum, and that has been a lovely bonus.

I don't profess to be an expert in any field of Food Manufacturing. I'm lucky however in that the roles i have done have exposed me to auditing, HACCP, Microbiology, BRC etc etc etc. and i'm a little bit too young to be "old school" in that i believe we should all share as much information with each other as we can.

I agree that for someone who's not exactly au fait with some of the aspects mentioned above it can be daunting to join in. Personally i can blame any faux pas i make on being a closet blonde! (well it works professionally for me). i have no problem with being corrected, as i use the forum as an educating tool too.

So i take my hat off to you Simon, you've done and are still doing a good job. :)

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:33 AM

So i take my hat off to you Simon, you've done and are still doing a good job. :)

Thanks - and I to you and all the other contributors here. :clap:

Nobody can be an expert at everything, we all have specialisms and as a team we have most bases covered here. :king: I'm learning new stuff everyday. :smarty:

Regards,
Simon

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:47 AM

there is a lot of discussion between FSMS auditors and few "everyday process questions" of quality managers

IMHO the two categories should be the same category: Business Management Systems.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:25 PM

Dear Simon,

Quiet day. Out of curiosity, has the ball-tampering season (county) finished yet ? If so, who won ? (PS, I support Essex).

Actually I'm surprised this problem has not yet surfaced in soccer, eg buy XY boots and you too can Bend it like Beckham.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:38 PM

Dear
Quiet day. Out of curiosity, has the ball-tampering season (county) finished yet ? If so, who won ? (PS, I support Essex).

Yes it is. I'm kind of on holiday until next Wednesday, but am still looking in for 1/2 an hour or so a day to validate new members and say hello.

I like the game of cricket but only really follow the international matches (such as when we whacked the ozzies last year) and local cricket. After moving house last week my new team is Greenmount and I look forward to watching the next home match with a pint or three. As a Lancashire lad I support them and have been to Old Trafford a few times to see them, although not for a while. Looks like they are doing OK without me:

http://news.bbc.co.u...les/4432353.stm

Unfortunately I can't see Essex in the top division. :unsure:

Simon

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users