Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 December 2023 - 07:57 PM

I am looking at putting in digital room temperature sensors/monitors that record temps to the cloud for monitoring and alarm notifications, note; my room temperatures are my CCP's, we are a fresh meat operation. The sensors I am looking at installing come with a NIST calibration record that is good for a year. Each new calibration will cost $165 per sensor which is a deterrent to weekly or even monthly calibrations, in addition they need to be sent out to a calibration lab. Currently I calibrate digital stick thermometers that are used in the rooms weekly. I have yet to find where a digital stick thermometer is off by more that .7 degrees F. in years of calibrating digital thermometers, either they work or they don't. Is it possible to write a calibration program to calibrate a digital thermometer annually providing it is calibrated to NIST standards at an outside lab and use the NIST calibration documentation as record?

Thank you

MOHAMMED ZAMEERUDDIN

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 276 posts
  • 59 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Sharing the Knowledge

Posted 15 December 2023 - 05:02 AM

Yes you can write calibration program in that way.

Thanked by 1 Member:

k.boardman

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 December 2023 - 02:16 PM

Thank you, however my supporting documentation that I can find only states weekly for thermometer calibration requirements, how do I get around that?

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 December 2023 - 04:55 PM

Thank you, however my supporting documentation that I can find only states weekly for thermometer calibration requirements, how do I get around that?

I think that there are two subjects that we are using interchangeably.   Calibration and verification.   

You should probably be verifying that even a NIST certified thermometer is accurate with some frequency.   

In your case, if a thermometer was found out of calibration after a year in service, you would have a CCP non conformance for the entire year.   

example:  calibrated annually.  verified as accurate daily, weekly, monthly, etc.   

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users