Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 December 2023 - 04:48 PM

ISEO published a validation study on the refinement process of soybean oil.  The conclusion was that the refining process effectively removes any detectable modified rDNA.  Has anyone requested the actual PCR data from the ISEO and successfully received the information?    

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 December 2023 - 10:44 PM

It has been my experience that the certifiers and customers interested in the bioengineered status of a refined oil don't actually care about nucleic acid or protein content, it's more of a principle akin to religious philosophy like kosher or halal.  No amount of physical refining will ever make it 'OK', so the PCR results weren't relevant.

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 19 December 2023 - 11:57 AM

I agree with GM.  It has been my personal experience with the USDA that they do not care what documentation you provide to show the oil has been refined enough that there is no allergen risk, that if it still says soybean oil then you must label it as 'Allergen: Soy'.  Place I worked at before, we had a whole voluntary recall on this due to a pan spray that used refined soybean oil.  We had documentation, testing data, etc. to show there was no risk, but it didn't matter, they (USDA) still had us recall the product, even though the FDA was ok with it.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BE, PCR, NBFDS, soybean oil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users