• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Peru
    Peru

Posted 18 December 2023 - 06:25 PM

Hello Food Safety Professionals,

I am new to dietary supplements and I have a non conformance from our audit because of this requirement (Posted below). I have explained to the auditor that we do testing for identity every time a new supplier is going to be approve. However, the are insistent that we need to test every batch. We are a small company and to test every batch is 350 dollar per ingredient. Also, I read to the auditor that it says it is only for dietary ingredients, but she insistent that it has to be for all ingredients that are aim to produce the dietary supplement. 

Can you give me any idea on how you comply with this requirement or how do i get an exemption, if somebody have apply to that. Very much appreciated.

§ 111.75 What must you do to determine whether specifications are met?

(a) Before you use a component, you must:

(1)

(i) Conduct at least one appropriate test or examination to verify the identity of any component that is a dietary ingredient, unless you petition the agency under paragraph (a)(1)(ii) of this section and the agency exempts you from such testing;

(ii) You may submit a petition, under 21 CFR 10.30, to request an exemption from the testing requirements in paragraph (a)(1)(i) of this section. The petition must set forth the scientific rationale, and must be accompanied by the supporting data and information, for proposed alternative testing that will demonstrate that there is no material diminution of assurance, compared to the assurance provided by 100 percent identity testing, of the identity of the dietary ingredient before use when the dietary ingredient is obtained from one or more suppliers identified in the petition. If FDA grants the petition, you must conduct the tests and examinations for the dietary ingredient, otherwise required under § 111.75(a)(1)(i), under the terms specified by FDA when the petition is granted; and

(2) Confirm the identity of other components and determine whether other applicable component specifications established in accordance with § 111.70(b) are met. To do so, you must either:

(i) Conduct appropriate tests or examinations; or

(ii) Rely on a certificate of analysis from the supplier of the component that you receive, provided that:

(A) You first qualify the supplier by establishing the reliability of the supplier's certificate of analysis through confirmation of the results of the supplier's tests or examinations;

(B) The certificate of analysis includes a description of the test or examination method(s) used, limits of the test or examinations, and actual results of the tests or examinations;

(C) You maintain documentation of how you qualified the supplier;

(D) You periodically re-confirm the supplier's certificate of analysis; and

(E) Your quality control personnel review and approve the documentation setting forth the basis for qualification (and re-qualification) of any supplier.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 18 December 2023 - 06:57 PM

Without jumping thru the hoops for an Auditor that does not fully inner-understand the requirement this is what you do first...

Contact the company that provided the Auditor and explain the Non-conformance as noted by the Auditor and ask them if the Auditor miss-understood the requirements to which they will say yes an recind the finding.

Easy Peasy.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Estrellita3

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Peru
    Peru

Posted 18 December 2023 - 07:03 PM

Hi Glenn, so that means that you agree with me. If i test every time i approved my supplier for identity of the ingredient, I should be fine, isn't it? I even have a bi-annual verification. 

I comply with reviewing COA for every batch of incoming raw material to comply with part 2 (ii) 

rhare

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 January 2024 - 09:30 PM

You must perform identity testing for every lot. 

Before you use a component, you must:

(1)

(i) Conduct at least one appropriate test or examination to verify the identity of any component that is a dietary ingredient

You can skip lot test for other tests, e.g. potency, but you must do identity testing.

For other components, e.g. inactives, you can qualify the RM and then accept on COA. You will then do periodic reconfirmation of the supplier's COA by testing the other component.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Estrellita3

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Peru
    Peru

Posted 12 January 2024 - 05:10 AM

Excellent! 

Thank you so much rhare. Can i ask you if for example for citric acid (Vitamin C), testing the pH can be considered as testing identity? since it is an acid? and perhaps the sensory evaluation will be enough to be considered as testing identity? I understand that testing identity is to ensure that if i am buying citric acid i am receiving citric acid (prevent fraud). Maybe, there is more information about this that i am not aware of. If anybody can help i will really appreaciated.

rhare

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 January 2024 - 03:20 PM

Testing pH will not suffice. Organoleptic can be part of the testing. FTIR is a suggestion.

Estrellita3

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Peru
    Peru

Posted 12 January 2024 - 03:39 PM

FITR is very expensive to do it per lot. For a small company like us, i will kill us. I submitted organoleptic with pH something we can do in house. Hopefully that get accepted. Otherwise, i have to look into the exemption letter, any idea how to apply for that?

rhare

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 January 2024 - 05:27 PM

"We are a small company and to test every batch is 350 dollar per ingredient." This looks like the cost for a full panel test on the raw material. Assay, micro., et al. Once you do a full panel test and everything passes, you can qualify the raw material. After that, you can skip lot test for potency, micro., et al., but you still need to do identity testing. FTIR is one of the cheapest tests. As I recall, it will cost around $50.

An exemption letter will not work in this case. Cost (too expensive) is not an acceptable reason to not test. 

Estrellita3

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Peru
    Peru

Posted 12 January 2024 - 05:38 PM

what lab does it run it for 50? the cost is for 3 labs i have gotten quotes. I will check if other labs do it for less. It is a good information thought. thanks, and of course writing a letter and saying that it is too expensive will not work. My question was more to, if anyone has experience on applying for that letter? I have to research more in to that.

Totes716

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 March 2024 - 10:18 PM

We had an issue like this with an auditor.  The regulations are a little open to interpretation.  My suggestion would be to buy an FTIR, if your raw materials are discernable from each other using that methodology.  We don't test all dietary ingredients with assay, but we do identity on everything. 

Both pH and organoleptic are basically unacceptable to meet the requirement. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users