Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 January 2024 - 05:01 PM

If my facility gets pre cook chicken that is already USDA approved, would I need a USDA inspector in the facility? The pre cook chicken won't be cook in the facility just packaged and sold in retail setting. 

kmd5568

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 January 2024 - 05:57 PM

What exactly is the process? Pre-cooked chicken that is frozen? In bags or cases? How is it being repackaged? If the mark of inspection is being applied to any package or label at your facility, then yes you will definitely need an inspector. If cases of frozen chicken are not being opened/relabeled and just re-palletized then perhaps not (I'm only familiar with plant procedures versus a blast freezer or distribution center)

Need to know more specifics on your process and what exactly is being done. Do you have a Grant of Inspection and a USDA P number? HACCP/SSOP?

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,611 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 04 January 2024 - 06:10 PM

I am going to say broadly speaking, yes.

We used pre-cooked, frozen chicken and only 'assemble' the chicken into another item. We do not further process the chicken, and we DO need USDA on site.

-Setanta         

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 04 January 2024 - 07:18 PM

If my facility gets pre cook chicken that is already USDA approved, would I need a USDA inspector in the facility? The pre cook chicken won't be cook in the facility just packaged and sold in retail setting. 

Yes you do. You can't use another facilities USDA number. There is no getting around this. 

Meat products need a USDA seal. If you re-package something - you are doing something to it and now requires a label with the USDA inspection seal. 

Using someone else's USDA seal (even another site owned by the same company) or not having one is considered a recall. The USDA will recall it. No questions asked. 

Edited by kfromNE, 04 January 2024 - 07:21 PM.

• G M likes this

PrplomSolved

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 0 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 January 2024 - 07:09 PM

Absolutely, the poultry industry doesn't play xD! 

Austin N.

Principal Laboratory Technician 

AEMTEK Athens

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users