• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 19 February 2024 - 04:53 PM

Hi,

I work in a secondary meat processing plant.This my first time working in the meat industry.I have a problem of pork butt that has shown signs of spoilage....it has off smells,slime and mould. My understanding is the company usually washes it out and cut out the surface and then use it.

I think it needs to be dumped both due to food safety and quality.Is this the norm in the meat industry?

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 19 February 2024 - 05:22 PM

Others will disagree with me, however as one meat industry president said to me - "What happens in the meat industry, Stays in the meat industry."  It would appear that this type of thing (washing it off for instance) happens as does the need to cut out pockets of cancer caused by parasites, just scoop it out and hit it with a power sanitzer.

I'm here to tell you that is bullshit what your company has been doing - shame on them.

So, in answer to your question - dump it.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Afiyfa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 19 February 2024 - 06:34 PM

It's scary to be honest.Other industries I worked in would dump and they were less high risk than meats. To me the fact that I am getting these problems it means there are breakdowns in other processes which needs to be addressed so I can get less spoilage etc.The solution is not to just use the spoiled meat for sausages etc.

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 19 February 2024 - 07:13 PM

Hi,

I work in a secondary meat processing plant.This my first time working in the meat industry.I have a problem of pork butt that has shown signs of spoilage....it has off smells,slime and mould. My understanding is the company usually washes it out and cut out the surface and then use it.

I think it needs to be dumped both due to food safety and quality.Is this the norm in the meat industry?

I work in a meat processing plan - we wouldn't use food products that are spoiled. 

Food items that show sign of spoilage - throw it out. Then ask why is this happening. Look at your supplier if you recently got the item. If not, you need to look at your processes. Like is the company not looking at their supply and buying to much. Is it a storage issue - is product getting lost in the coolers or newer use by dates getting used first. Not using the oldest product is an issue - workers tend to grab the most convenient item. 

While this takes some work up front/time - the savings could be huge. 

Afiyfa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 19 February 2024 - 07:34 PM

Thank you for your feedback.What is your the temperature of your meat processing areas? I definitely think some of my processes are causing the spoilage.E.g my processing areas temperature are on average 15-22 degree Celsius.

Afiyfa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 19 February 2024 - 07:36 PM

Also,I think the way we presently thaw may be a contributing factor.We presently thaw our meats in the open at the same 15-22 degrees Celsius for about 12-19 hours to use in production the following day.

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 130 posts
  • 44 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 19 February 2024 - 10:17 PM

Also,I think the way we presently thaw may be a contributing factor.We presently thaw our meats in the open at the same 15-22 degrees Celsius for about 12-19 hours to use in production the following day.

So your meats are sitting at room temperature for 12-19 hours before use? That's definitely adding to the spoilage problem.

The safest way would be to thaw in a cooler (<5°C).

It will take longer, but you will know that the temperature of the meat does not go above 5°C.

Right now, the surface of your meat is closer to 15-22°C at the end of thawing.

I'm in the United States, and this would not be acceptable in our meat operations. Something to consider! Good luck

Edited by AltonBrownFanClub, 19 February 2024 - 10:18 PM.

Afiyfa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 19 February 2024 - 10:20 PM

How long is your thawing process from frozen to chiller? I am thinking 24-72hrs. The way it's done at your meat operations s what I am used to in RTE and have been trained to do but my present company does a lot of wrong things.

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 130 posts
  • 44 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 19 February 2024 - 10:39 PM

24 hours from frozen to fully thawed.

Our packs are relatively small though. ~2lbs each.

We place them on sheet pans in a rack so there is space between them.

We are RTE.

You could tell the company that they are losing money from spoilage. That might get their attention.

Plus, it's free. You're already paying to run the coolers. Just move the product in advance.

One thing to mention: If your packages are vacuum sealed, you will need to open them once they are moved to the cooler.

Clostridium botulinum can grow at cooler temperatures in vacuum packages. Just make a small cut in the bag to let air in while thawing.

Afiyfa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 19 February 2024 - 10:59 PM

Our frozen products are larger....pork shoulders,butts,legs, emulsions etc as they are used to produce sausages,bacons,hams etc.

The company know they have significant spoilage.There way of dealing with it,is boiling the spoiling product and then putting it back into a new batch as rework or sorting out spoiling product based on organoleptic properties,if it passes the obvious signs if spoilage,they release it though it would have been mixed up with obvious spoiling products.

As stated,I am new to meats and at this company also so I am trying to get them to do the right thing as those practices are not allowed in previous food industries I worked in ,land they were less high risk than meats except for the RTE side.Both from a food safety and food quality pov.

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 February 2024 - 01:02 PM

Thank you for your feedback.What is your the temperature of your meat processing areas? I definitely think some of my processes are causing the spoilage.E.g my processing areas temperature are on average 15-22 degree Celsius.

Production rooms - under 10 C. Usually around 7-8 C. We thaw in an area that is around 4-7 C for air temperature. Depending on the product - it takes about two days. Our coolers are between 1-2 C. 

By keeping our coolers a little colder and product - we reduce the chance of product going above temperature in our production rooms especially since we add non-refrigerated items like spices and canned items. We also have a cold water system in different areas so only cold water used in production. We also only bring out enough product in production areas that can be done in like a two hour time span. So limit the time it is in a 'warmer' environment. 

Your process environment/temperature is most definitely the problem. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 February 2024 - 01:38 PM

You should be using constantly flowing water to thaw

Here's some helpful links for pork

https://inspection.c...6/1522956608262

• using continuous running tap water of sufficient volume and for such limited time as is necessary for thawing. The thawing medium must not exceed a temperature of 21°C

It really sounds like you've got a 2 fold problem

A) the meat isn't chilled enough or layered with enough dry ice at the slaughter house

B)  the meat isn't being properly inspected at receipt (e.g. no one is taking core temps with a long probe into the combo)

Loads should be inspected immediately when the truck arrives and REFUSED if it's not 4C or less

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 February 2024 - 04:17 PM

The one meat processing plant in my corporate chain keeps the production area under 40F/4C.  Temp of the processing rooms and storage is one of their CCP's if I remember correctly.  If you're thawing open air at 15-22C/59-72F and processing at those temps as well, I'm not at all surprised you're encountering spoilage.

Edited by jfrey123, 20 February 2024 - 04:17 PM.

Afiyfa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 21 February 2024 - 05:11 AM

Hi,
Thank you for the feedback.Are persons in the meat industry doing pathogens testing for all products before releasing for sale to the consumer?

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 February 2024 - 02:00 PM

Hi,
Thank you for the feedback.Are persons in the meat industry doing pathogens testing for all products before releasing for sale to the consumer?

Are your products cooked/RTE or Non RTE and have cooking instructions. 

Depends on the company. For RTE items - we had too many products when we did have RTE items. We relied more on environmental monitoring testing than product testing. We did quarterly product testing and weekly environmental monitoring. We tested for listeria and salmonella. This occurred during production. We did zone 1, 2 and 3 testing. I know Zone 1 testing is not always required but we did because the FDA and an audit. We were a RTE/NRTE FDA/USDA plant. I can happily say we are now just a NRTE USDA/FDA plant. 

Edited by kfromNE, 21 February 2024 - 02:08 PM.

Afiyfa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 21 February 2024 - 03:05 PM

What is the nature of meat products being produced at your plant? Ours in NRTE,e.g the sausages and hams have to be cooked but the packaging doesn't give clear instructions in terms of cooking before eating, moreso just keeping it refrigerated.If I am being precise, it's a combination of partially cooked meats like bacons and fully cooked meats like chicken vienna in cans.I am assuming though you are NRTE, you are doing daily indicator and spoilage microorganisms testing of your products?

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 February 2024 - 07:16 PM

Hi,

There are some variations in what defines a 'lot' or batch of material, but yes, every lot is tested for the most probable pathogens, spoilage micros, and general plate count. With around 100 lots a day for finished goods, plus half as many in intermediate stages of production.

Afiyfa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 29 February 2024 - 11:33 PM

Hi GM, does your company have a strict policy of not wearing work uniform/aprons outside the factory considering it is meats.

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 March 2024 - 01:11 PM

Hi GM, does your company have a strict policy of not wearing work uniform/aprons outside the factory considering it is meats.

Yes. Employees wear smocks. The smocks are laundered by an outside company. These are to be worn in production room areas. Not outside or even in the break room. We have hooks for smocks. Our maintenance and shipping employees where different clothing due to their job. However if one of the employees would then help out on the production floor - a smock would be required. The shipping and maintenance employees also still don't wear their uniform home either. 

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 March 2024 - 09:54 PM

Absoloutely.  They're not allowed in offices, break rooms or restrooms either.

Afiyfa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 20 March 2024 - 10:38 PM

Hi,

For the various posters who are working in meats, what PPE are your staff wearing as cold protection in production areas that are less than 10 degrees Celsius?

I am considering the following:
1.Cotton mittens underneath the gloves to keep their hands warm short term but long term I need food grade insulated gloves.
2.An insulated jacket/jersey underneath the lab coats
3.winter hats for their heads.

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 March 2024 - 12:10 PM

Hi,

For the various posters who are working in meats, what PPE are your staff wearing as cold protection in production areas that are less than 10 degrees Celsius?

I am considering the following:
1.Cotton mittens underneath the gloves to keep their hands warm short term but long term I need food grade insulated gloves.
2.An insulated jacket/jersey underneath the lab coats
3.winter hats for their heads.

1. We use cotton mittens or a reusable cut glove then disposable gloves over. 

2. we only provide insulated jackets for those who work in greater than -17 C. So our freezers. Those who work at less than 10 C - employees provide their own clothing. Though where I live - we have all 4 seasons and employees are used to the cold weather plus have the clothing already at home. So when it's -17 C outside for a high, 10 C doesn't feel that bad.  ^_^

3. Again - employees provide their own. Thought this is a nice idea. 

Afiyfa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 21 March 2024 - 12:41 PM

I live in a tropical environment so the workers don't have cold protection clothing.I am thinking in a context like that, the employer is responsible for providing those PPE? Do you find like thermal long johns are effective in keeping the body warm without an insulated jacket in 10C?

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 March 2024 - 01:05 PM

I live in a tropical environment so the workers don't have cold protection clothing.I am thinking in a context like that, the employer is responsible for providing those PPE? Do you find like thermal long johns are effective in keeping the body warm without an insulated jacket in 10C?

Most employees where jeans or sweatpants. They then wear a few layers on top. So a long sleeve shirt with a sweater on top. Most employees like wearing hoodies or sweatshirts. Then a stocking cap for their head. I personally wear an insulated head band. Keeps my ears warm and hair from coming out of the hairnet. 

For cold weather - layers is the way to go. You want to give the chance for employees to take off layers at break time if they get too warm. This can occur when employees are doing a strenuous task. 

Warm socks - that's a must too. Cotton.  

It takes a while but people do eventually get used to the cold. 

Edited by kfromNE, 21 March 2024 - 01:06 PM.

Afiyfa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 21 March 2024 - 01:38 PM

A lab coat/smock is being worn over these layers also?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users